Getting in Shape

Soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk?

I'm putting together an eating plan for myself as I try to lose weight, get into better shape, and improve my skin/hair/nails before my wedding in Oct -- and beyond!  Anyway, I plan to eat Kashi Go Lean Cereal, as it is high in protein and complex carbs.  But I'm going to also try to limit my dairy.  So, I'd like to hear from y'all about what tastes better on cereal (in n your opinion): soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk.  Also, is the plain/unflavored palatable, or should I stick with the vanilla (at least to start)?  Thanks for your opinions.

Re: Soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk?

• I prefer soy milk or almond milk purely based on taste. Also It's easier to get light soy milk (I prefer silk low fat vanilla) than the other two. Almond milk makes a good substitute when you board of soy milk though. I love the Kashi Go lean, I put it a little splenda on it and eat it with my silk. Watch out for the Kashi Crunch though. It is really high in calories. My mom bought it for me but I haven't eaten yet since I have to mix it with a low cal cereal like rice puffs since it's so dense.
  • Soy milk has a lot of protein, and that's good, since you're replacing the protein you would be getting from cow's milk.  On the other hand, there ARE oodles of studies showing a link between Soy and breast cancer (google it!), so that makes me nervous, personally.

I personally think rice milk tastes gritty and strange.  Plus, it has no protein, which you do need (especially if you're trying to get into better shape and tone up.)

Almond milk, in my opinion, is delicious!  No weird textures, not too sweet, not too plain.  It still doesn't have as much protein as cow's milk, but it has at least 1 or 2 grams depending on the brand you buy.  Unflavored almond milk tastes OK, but vanilla almond milk tastes soooooo good in cereal!  Vanilla almond milk has 90 calories per 8 ounces-- that's the same as SKIM cow's milk-- awesome!  It's much thicker and creamier than skim milk, too.  It's a winner all around in my opinion.

When trying almond milk for the first time, I think you should try Almond Breeze brand, Vanilla flavored.  I've tried a lot of brands and flavors, and that's my favorite.  Silk makes an almond milk, but I wouldn't recommend it.  It's all trial and error though, my least favorite may taste the best to you!

Good luck in your weight loss endeavors... I'm trying very hard as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love WESTSOY Organic unsweetened soy milk. yummmm! 
  • Ever since I read Skinny Bitch (totally worth reading!!) I have been drinking rice milk.   I drink the plain enriched rice milk by Rice Dream.  I put it in my Kashi Go Lean everyday and it is REALLY good!!  It is sweet but lighter and a little more "watery" then skim milk.  I was super nervous to try it to but once I gave it a chance I will never go back to drinking cow's milk.  I hope this helps!  Good luck, stick to it and you will really be happy with the results of a healthy diet and exercise!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_soy-milk-almond-milk-rice-milk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:fe40a062-846a-472d-b97b-80b624c748e3Post:bad6cb36-1294-454c-995b-62435333a4da">Re: Soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Soy milk has a lot of protein, and that's good, since you're replacing the protein you would be getting from cow's milk.  On the other hand, there ARE oodles of studies showing a link between Soy and breast cancer (google it!), so that makes me nervous, personally.
    Posted by kmckenzie89[/QUOTE]

Some breast cancers are estrogen dependent, meaning they have receptors for estrogen on the surface of the cell, and when those receptors bind estrogen or similar hormones like soy isoflavonones, it stimilates the cell to divide more. So if you have that kind of breast cancer, eating soy can stimulate tumor growth. You don't need to worry about this unless you already have breast cancer or have had it in the past.

There has also been a ton of research showing that soy actually has a protective effect because of the hormonal action of the isovlavonones and decreases the risk for breast and prostate cancer in healthy people, and it also has been shown to help lower LDL cholesterol. Overall there's more evidence for eating soy than against it.

If there's an Aldi where you live, they have really good soymilk that's a lot cheaper than you can buy it anywhere else.
    Anniversary
  • I LOVE Soy Slender, less calories and tastes great.  I've never tried it in cereal (was nervous but might after the above suggestions) but it's AMAZING for protein or meal replacement shakes.
  • Thanks all, for the great input!  :-)
  • I have thyroid issues which means I need to avoid too much soy. So for me Almond milk has been the best answer. I started with vanilla to make the transition easier. 
    Rice milk  pthhhh  not my thing! 
  • megilbmegilb member
    First Comment
    LOVE  almone milk!!!! I get unsweetened almond breeze. super low in calories and so delicious!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think almond milk is the best of the three, and I usually buy vanilla. Soy milk has a soy-y aftertaste that I don't like (I find that in most soy products) and rice milk is too watery.

However, there's a brand called So Delicious which makes coconut milk-based "milk" products. They have regular, light and vanilla. It comes in half-gallon cartons and it's fabulous! Definitely the best non-dairy milk I've tried. (And, not diet-friendly, but they also make coconut milk-based ice cream which is to die for. So creamy!)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards