Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Vow backups??? (HELP!)

So my shy FI suggested we write our own vows. I was SUPER shocked he wanted to do that, especially with how quiet he is. I'm a professional writer and I never even thought about writing my own vows.

So we're doing it...but now my mom is worried that given how shy he is, what if he freaks out at the alter? Or forgets all his vows? She thinks we should have traditional vows on standby, but I feel like having that safety net is just asking for him to chicken out, plus how do we signal the pastor to switch vows? A wink?

What do you think? She's being slightly ridiculous, right?

Re: Vow backups??? (HELP!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is always nice when the couple rights their own vows.  I think that as long as he has a copy of the vows with him in his pocket or the pastor has a copy you should be fine.  No reason to have a different set of back up vows.
    September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I would stick to vows you create on you own and not make anything new.
    I bet he wants to take this oppertunity to share just how much he loves you. which is very sweet!
  • Options
    cubuffs01cubuffs01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed. Although I wouldn't try to memorize them--what bride and groom have time for that. Run through a couple times so it doesn't sound like you are reading them, but just use a hard copy.
  • Options
    mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is nothing wrong with having a paper with your vows on it, I have always seen couples who wrote their own vows read them from their paper, never from memorization. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    anika.alfredanika.alfred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cousins wrote their own vows and had them on paper - my cousin-in-law pulled hers out of her strapless gown!! it was quite funny! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards