Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Exchange of Rings wording... Modern??

Hello,

Looking for something modern to say when we exchange rings. 

Not a fan of "with this ring, I thee wed" or "Take this ring as a symbol of my love, and blah blah"

Anyone heard of or using anything different?

Re: Exchange of Rings wording... Modern??

• vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Our minister sent us a huge document with many different wordings for each section of the wedding.  We could go through them and pick them one we liked best or put a few together to create our own.  Here are the samples he gave us for the ring exchange:

GIVING OF RINGS

a) ____, I give you this ring as a sign of our covenant. With all that I am, and all that I have, I honour you. 

b) One :                 I give you this ring that you may choose to wear it and in doing so may be reminded and re-experience my deep love and regard for you. Other :    I will wear this love gift with honour and joy as a sign to others that I am committed to you and to our life together.    

c) ________, I bring you this ring, forged in love, which to me is the symbol of completeness and eternity, and I          give it to you to wear so that we will always remember our wedding vows. 

d) ________, I give you this ring, which to me is a symbol of my love and commitment to you. 

e) _______, today I place this ring on your finger. It symbolizes the bond that is never-ending. But when you need   to know the depth of my love for you, look not to the ring, but into my heart.

f) _______, I give you this ring, as a symbol of our marriage, for today and tomorrow, and for all the days to  come. Wear it as a sign of what we have promised and done this day. 

g)Just as this circle is without end, my love for you is eternal. Just as it is
    made of incorruptible substance, my commitment to you will never fail. With this ring, I thee wed." 

h)A ring is an unbroken circle, a symbol of unity and love, representative of the greater circle of life of which we  all spiritually are a part of. Having neither beginning nor end, but a continuous cycle of which you are an element. For you, it begins with the gift of life, and will continue through the end   of time.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Google is your friend.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • bvanostenbvanosten member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was actually coming on here to ask a simillar question. 
    Right now, we are just going to put the rings on each other's fingers saying something along the lines of:

"I give you my love and trust, acceptance and respect and I promise to be faithful to you for as long as I live."

(Totallly not acknowledging the rings but they are just a symbol for what you are saying anyway).

I'm stumped because I'm writing our ceremony and I don't know what to have the officiant say to introduce the rings.  Does anyone have any verbiage for the officiant that isn't the traditional "these rings are a symbol for a love unending" type of deal?

• MAMA41206MAMA41206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea what to do.  I lke what you said.

I may just have the officiant ask the Best Man for the rings and then everyone will kind of know it's the ring  ceremony.  I just find all the wording options so old fashioned.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance hates hates hates "With this ring I thee wed". So we're planning to use this:

Groom: Because this ring is perfectly symmetrical, it signifies the perfection of true love. As I place it on your finger, I give you all that I am and ever hope to be.

Bride: Because this ring has no end or beginning, it signifies the continuation of true love. As I place it on your finger, I give you all that I am and ever hope to be.

You could even take off the first part if you wanted it to be simpler and go with just the end, "As I place this ring on your finger I give you all that I am and ever hope to be."
  • nikkibelnikkibel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_exchange-of-rings-wording-modern?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:24Discussion:509e14ec-4c69-4547-a69c-d8b7de04a782Post:bb115c96-d5b0-40b3-bb3e-78063f5ddbbf">Re: Exchange of Rings wording... Modern??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using this for our ring ceremony This is the point in the ceremony where we usually talk about the wedding bands being a perfect circle, with no beginning and no end.  But we all know that these rings do have a beginning.  Rock is dug up from the earth.  Metal is liquefied in a furnace at a thousand degrees, then molded, cooled, and painstakingly polished.  Something beautiful is made from raw elements.  Love is like that.  It's hot, dirty work.  It comes from humble beginnings, made by imperfect beings.  It's the process of making something beautiful where there was once nothing at all. This ring is my promise to accept your imperfections and recognize your beauty
    Posted by Jenniferm911[/QUOTE]

I love this! Can I steal it?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jenniferm911Jenniferm911 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    of course---I changed the actual ring declaration to 'This ring is a token of my love.  I marry you with this ring, with all that I have and all that I am.   
    I didn't like the word imperfections in my ring promise
  • This is so beautiful! My husband and I are renewing our vows and giving each other new rings. This will be perfect! Thanks for sharing it!
  • edited April 2013
    intro in with a reading of the poem below?

The rings signify the coming around of the cycle of life;

From sickness to health,
    From want to plenty,
    From despair to joy, 
    From difficulty to possibility;
    From aloneness to love
    From this day forward,
    You shall not walk alone.
    My heart will be your shelter,
    And my arms will be your home
    I love you now until I die.
    For I must love because I live
    And life in me is what you give.
  • Cab23Cab23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    And 4 years later, this is soooo beautiful I'm using it. Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards