Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

LDS/Mormon Wedding ceremony

I'm getting married 12/30 and my unlce who is a bishop in the Mormon church is marrying us. My fiance is a non-member and worries about what will be said, and doesn't want the ceremony to be overly religious. I don't think it will be. Is anyone else getting married with an LDS member officiating? Has anyone been to a wedding where this has been the case?

I'm curious to know what will be said, mentioned, etc. for my non-religious fiancee.

Please help!
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: LDS/Mormon Wedding ceremony

• edited December 2011
    You could just ask your uncle, or if you're active in the church you could speak with your own Bishop. I'm sure your uncle would be happy to talk with you. You can probably count on an emphasis on the importance of families and I'm sure there will be LDS specific scripture. If this is something your FI is uncomfortable with, I would recommend a dicussion with him and include your uncle as well :o)
    Anniversary
  • paigeykpaigeyk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey!  I am getting married by our Bishop as well ( we plan to go to the temple in a yr. )  He talked us through the whole thing which is very very short.  Basically just him asking you and you say "I do" or "Yes" and then he asks your FH.  That's really all there is.  We added some other things to ours to make it more personal.  As far as what the Bishop is required to say it's not religious specific, but remember he has the authority to marry you both recognized by the state through the LDS church.  Make sure your FH is aware and ok with this!  Good Luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a few civil/LDS marriages.  They are certainly...unique.

At one wedding, the bishop (who was the bride's uncle) spouted off for 15 minutes about how the Lord wanted them to go to the temple and how it was very important for them to go there.  It's a nice thought, but since the Groom was not Mormon, I'm not sure what he thought about it.

I don't recall what was said at another one that I went to, only that the bishop went on forever and I kept thinking, "I didn't come here for an hour-long sacrament meeting!"

At yet another, the bride told me that her experience had been dreadful--that the bishop beforehand told them that they had to get married in the cultural hall instead of the temple because the Lord was very disappointed in them.  He wouldn't allow any music other than hymns and primary songs!!!

I think the big thing to remember is that if you don't want it to be religious and/or long, then you need to be very specific with your bishop (even if he is your uncle).  Bishops are often called upon to "improvise" and "fill time," and it's all too easy to do that at a wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Leanna95691Leanna95691 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there,
    I am actually in the same boat, and am having trouble locating a bishop to perform our ceremony as well. How did your wedding turn out?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards