Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Father of the bride

Is it ok to name my step father as my father on my wedding invitations?

Re: Father of the bride

• Options
    m81kimmym81kimmy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father died when my mom was still pregnant with me. She remarried when I was four and my stepfather wonderfully fulfilled the role of father. many friends of my father are still alive and they are invited to the wedding. I am wondering should I name my grandfather as my father and have the father daughter dance with him or should I simply have the first with the man that  I always knew as my father.
  • Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's completely fine.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your SN is your email address, please change it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that would be okay.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that would be fine. I've seen it done many times before, as well as a brother giving away the bride. If you'd like to do something for your grandfather to recognize him, there's lots of things you can do. You can say something short and sweet about him at the reception or rehearsal dinner, maybe thanking him for all the childhood memories he's provided? Is your FI close to his Grandma at all? I've seen "grandparent dances" done before. You can make him a personalized picture frame and have it at his seat with a picture of you two. You can get a personalized hankee (can't think of what most people call them!) and have it at his seat at the ceremony with some sweet words on it. You can have a special area on your wedding website that thanks him and the support he's always provided, etc. Hope that helps!

Or... you can always have BOTH give you away! I have seen that also. Some people have both their Mom and Dad give them away, it's your wedding- do what makes you happy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yes definiyely fine! did you talk to your mom about it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you consider your stepfather you father then absolutely!
    If your father was still in the picture it would be different, but since he passed away when you were quite young, I'm sure you love your stepfather as a father. "step" to me is just a title, it doesn't mean anything. We all have our "sisters" who aren't related in blood but that mean as much as family to us! And he probably loves you as his daughter!
    There is nothing wrong with him walking you down the aisle! I know in my divorced family my mother is offended I've considered having my father walk me down the aisle (um, he's my dad!) so I wouldn't pay much attention to your aunts and uncles.
    There are other ways you can honor your grandfather if he means a lot to you or played a big role in walking you down the aisle. Do what you feel is right, its your family and your day, not your aunts'.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely! Plus, on an invitation you aren't really naming who your father is, you're just saying who the hosts are. If you're doing programs I would be sure to add something in there about your birth-father, but everyone who loves you know the situation and that your step-father is your "daddy." :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards