Flowers
Options

fiance doesn't like... :(

So I have over a year until my wedding, but I really wanted to DIY origami flowers (see my DIY page at ginny-and-adam.weebly.com), so I've been working a little at a time on them. My fiance mentioned when I started that he wasn't sure he liked the idea, and tonight he basically said he can't stand them and thinks they look stupid. He also said if he's going to wear a boutinniere (sp?) it's going to be a real flower, which I think will be awkward if I do what I want and have 3 different kinds of origami bouquets for me and my 2 bridesmaids.I'm really upset because I thought this would grow on him, but with every one I've made (5 now) he only seems to like them less. Does anyone have suggestions on a compromise, or any advice at all?Thanks in advance.

Re: fiance doesn't like... :(

• Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    let him have real flowers, and the girls.  Make your toss boquet oragami (and take pics with it as well) make oragami flowers for the centerpieces, or to real and oragami together in the center pieces.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree...can you use real at the ceremony and origami at the reception? Or visa versa? I love the origami flowers, especially kusudamas, but we're going to mix them in with real flowers...I think it will look fine.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the origami would look better for reception decoration, or in lieu of flower petals if you are having a flower girl. The WP flowers are meant to be worn or carried, and are given to them to honor them. Any time you give flowers to someone, they should be real, not fake or paper. Would you like your FI to give you a dozen paper roses for your anniversary, or a zircon for an e-ring? The WP are real, live people, not to be used to display decorations for your wedding. Unless there is a very pressing or practical reason to use artificial flowers, I feel they should be real, even if they are very simple or inexpensive. Like a simple long stemmed rose instead of a bouquet, or a simple carnation bout. I think origami is a really unique and pretty idea, but that they are more suited for the reception, like on the tables, as place cards, or folded napkins.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope you don't think I'm being critical of your origami idea. There is nothing wrong with doing something unique and different for your wedding, even if others don't like the idea. You certainly don't have to please everyone else. But when you and your fiance are not both in agreement, then that's when you need to rethink the idea.
  • Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    eh I agree and disagree with you Catwomen. I agree that flowers are meant to be something given to the wedding party and considerations should be taken. BUT if the bride hand made a bouquet especially a well done fake or oragami flower bouquet it would mean more to me as I could take it home as a keepsake. So there are pros and cons of each type. I hope you (the OP) can find a balance between something you obviously love with something your FI likes (does a guy ever really LOVE flowers haha)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Aggiebug. That's how I looked at it, and it really did kind of hit me hard to read Catwoman' reply. I have found some beaded flower patterns that my fiance seems to like better (so far), but I'm not totally ditching my origami flowers yet. I appreciate everyone's responses.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So now that' I've told FH that he doesn't have to wear a boutinnierre if he doesn't want to, he doesn't seem to care nearly as much about what kinds of flowers I have/make. BTW, I have successfully made 3 (small) beaded flowers and will be posting those pics on my DIY page later!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards