Flowers
Options

People taking centerpieces home??

Hello everybody, I have been stalking these posts for a while for ideas but now I have a question I can't find answered. Sorry if it is somewhere else.

I am starting to get quotes and deal with getting my centerpieces set up and have noticed that some florists sell you the vases and some allow you to rent or borrow them. I think it is a great idea to "borrow" the vases, they just have to be returned in 5 days, and it is no charge for it. My mom is worried that people are going to take the centerpieces home after the wedding. I had never heard of this but she says it is very common.

The replacement fee on the vases is $15 and if we bought them ahead of time and gave them to florist it would probably cost us about $5. I'm just trying to save some money and not be stuck with a bunch of vases laying around after the wedding.

What are your thoughts on it? Thanks in advance!
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyName Ticker

Re: People taking centerpieces home??

• Options
    shatrbug_2001shatrbug_2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of the time if guests take them home it's because the members of your wedding party have been told to spread the word to the guest that they can take them home, otherwise they leave them! Just desinate a couple of close family members/friends (i.e. aunts or cousins) to keep an eye out for centerpieces "walking out the door" and have them politely say to the guest that the centerpieces are to stay at the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree. If guests haven't been told to take them, they won't. Unless you have some unhinged relatives...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i always heard that guests take the centerpieces home, i recently went to my cousins wedding where they had a game like pass the napkin around really fast to a song and when the song is over whoever is holding the napkin gets to take the centerpiece home... which was fun, the hall that i booked has tall vases that i can use if i wanted free of charge but bc im afraid of someone taking them home i decided to buy smaller vases so that the guests can take them home, i dont want to be stuck with ten or 15 centerpieces and i would hate to spend so much money on flowers and have them thrown out. I do like the idea from the other comment to have a family member keep an eye out but intern i wouldnt want to make someone be the centerpiece police, i guess its up to you and how u feel about it.  good luck
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing my own centerpieces, and have purchased the vases & bowls for the centerpieces, as well as votives and other candle holders.

I certainly don't want any of this stuff back. It's too tedious to sell them. Our plan is to put a note under one plate at each table that says they are the "lucky guest" and they can take the centerpiece home, as well as any other items. If they don't want them they can split it with another guest at the table.

We will probably keep one of everything for ourselves as momento.

This works for us, not sure what would work for you and your family.

Good luck.
  • Options
    plessjmplessjm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP most guest only take CP home if the word has been spread or announced. If you are concerned have the dj announce late in the evening when a large porpotion of guest that are leaving you are welcome to the CP flowers but please leave the vases! That way your flowers will be enjoyed by the masses and you wont be bummed that they got thrown away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I once went to a wedding where the FOB told guests as we were leaving that we should take the centerpieces.  I otherwise never would have even thought to do so lol.
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    nicole1125nicole1125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea I have heard that some people will take them. One wedding I went to the DJ played a "hot potato" kinda game at each of the tables and the person who ended up with the (i think it was a napkin tied in a knot) was the winner and got to take it home. But I would hope if you dont tell them to take them people won't. but u never know with some people lol 
  • Options
    loritajeanloritajean member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I live in Mexico, and here it's a well-known fact that guests can take the centerpieces home. It's just expected.

Can't say how things should be done in the States, though! I understand it's NOT expected, unless there are specific instructions to do so.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kkaimalakkaimala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding last summer where the MOB told us to take the centerpieces home. I thought it was really strange, as I had never heard of this before.

This might seem a bit strange, but I ordered vases through Dollar Tree dot com. I know nobody wants to buy ANYTHING for their wedding from a dollar store, but the vases were the exact same as the ones at MIchael's, JoAnn Fabrics, and Hobby Lobby, where they each cost about $5. The only catch is that you have to order by the case. This way if people take them it doesn't matter. (plus, it was nice to save $4 per vase). I plan on keeping mine, because my FH has 6 sisters and I have 2. That way if any of them would like to use them, they can, and if not I'll just donate them or something like that. Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope to donate our wedding flowers to the local hospice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also have the employees at the reception site keep an eye out if anyone tries to take them. They may even start collecting them and putting them in a safe area when your reception ends. I worked at a reception site as a server and couples requested things like that before and we were more than happy to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at a venue that catered to weddings, and one of the best ideas to prevent guests from taking the centerpieces home is to ask the serving staff to remove them from the table before serving the dessert course, and store them somewhere until after the reception, when a member of the wedding party could pack them up. We were asked to do this at multiple weddings, and it worked out beautifully.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great ideas.

loritajean - My FI is hispanic and we have family coming in from Mexico, now that I know it is custom I will definitely rethink the borrowing of the vases from the florist.

kkaimala - the dollar tree is my savior, I shop there for everything. I actually went into a store but they didn't have the vase style I wanted. I will check it out online and see if they have more options. I agree with you, why pay $5 each when you can pay $1!

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely be careful with the Vases. My sister rented them and at her wedding people poured beer in them and drank out of them. One got broken. And one guys tried to steal 2 of them knowing they were not to be taken. at $15 dollars its not to bad but these vases were $110 each. You better believe the guy who broke one paid for it. So just be careful the last thing u want to worry about is chasing ur guests because they are taking vases.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello!

Who cares if the vases are a dollar - if it is a bargain - I'm in!

I also ordered my vases from Dollar Tree online.  They will ship for FREE to a store near you.  If you need an odd number, chances they will have the vases on the floor too.

I am doing my table numbers in plastic - silver looking frames I purchased there as well.
  • Options
    Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen people take the Centerpieces home without asking; but that is rude. First off, that person did not pay for it, nor ask permission. I haven't sorted this flower part out yet for the reception (just the ceremony); but it's okay for family to take one home. Others? Nope, I am donating them to our temple and I will make sure it is known. We are paying for everyone's meal at the reception; so I think that is a nice enough gift (we don't expect any major gifts or anything). 
    Anyways, it might be better to purchase some inexpensive vases so you don't have to worry. Trust me, most people will look at the flowers before vases and who cares if it's not real crystal darling? :)
  • Options
    jeb113jeb113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to over 30 weddings and have never heard of anyone taking centerpieces home.  The most I've seen is people taking a small votive or two because they were drunk and being stupid.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Even if one or two are taken or get broken you will only have to pay $15-$30 rather than $5 per vase.  Still not a bad price for all those vases.  hope this helps!
  • Options
    sdvorasdvora member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends.  In my family, people always steal centerpieces.  Tongue out  I have distinct memories of my mother making me run out to the car in the middle of reception while other people weren't looking, toting some contraband flowers. 

I'm actually a bit worried myself, as many of our centerpieces are collectible items my FI and I have scrounged for, as well as property of my florist and her family.  Fortunately, we're having a steampunk wedding, and good luck to anyone who tries to cart a 30 pound antique typewriter out without anyone seeing!

I would either make sure to put some BP members on theft detail, or just suck it up and purchase the vases.  If money isn't a huge issue, you can actually make a game out of it.  Under one chair at every table, there's a sticker, and if you're sitting there -- you win the centerpiece!  Just an idea.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Another suggestion...I did not want to spend much on vases either, so I started checking on second-hand stores and have found thick beautiful vases of varying heights and styles for as little as .75 each in some stores. You do have to shop around though, also you may or may not find enough of one style, which is fine with me because I wanted to have the CP slightly different on each table. Maybe this will help...

good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mhickey426mhickey426 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

i have never been to a wedding where ppl dont take the centerpieces unless told they cant.  Some of ours they can take the low arrangements and then the tall ones they cant take the vase because we are renting them.  i plan on telling the hall to make sure nobody walks out with the tall ones so we dont have to pay for the vases.  $5 extra really isnt that bad so to give yourself piece of mind so u dont have to worry about it i would consider just getting the vases. ps sorry about the font idk what happened

Anniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers image due, March 15
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Taking centerpieces home is huge at Italian weddings.....though usually someone announces that they can be taken home.  I'm Italian and I was worried about this with my centerpieces since they won't be flowers actually......I'm essentially "renting" everything from the florist.  I'm having winter trees built in a large vase with crystals and lighting.  But I'm no longer worried as my florist informed me each centerpiece will weigh about 50lbs.....good luck taking one home!  Though I'm still going to have my cousin on the lookout for little old ladies trying to drag my centerpieces out the doors......
  • Options
    noonescookienoonescookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding where the bride DIYed all her centerpieces and expected people to take them home, but the word never really got out and no one did. She was left begging the wedding party to take them so she wasn't stuck with 14 giant glass vases of sand and candles. If you want them gone, make sure that's clear.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to add, taking centerpieces home is also a Vietnamese tradition and a must to show hospitality.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards