Flowers
Options

Alternative to Flowers

Hi Girls
I'm having an outdoor January wedding at a beautiful old barn!  I'm planning on having my bridesmaids carry lanterns but I have no idea what to carry myself, I don't want flowers (I think they are pretty just not my style) any ideas would be great!
Thanks!

Re: Alternative to Flowers

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to carry anything if you don't want to.  But if you do, some suggestions:

A bible or prayer book.
    A cross.
    A handkerchief.
    A candle or lantern.
    A bouquet of feathers, dried herbs, crystals, or ribbons.
    A muff to keep your hands warm.

Not really appropriate for a January wedding, but a fan or parasol.

• Options
    loveslugloveslug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A bundle of wheat wrapped with ribbon or raffia?  Or maybe a fancier or more dressed-up version of the laterns your BMs are carrying? I've seen pomanders (kissing balls) being carried as well, which can look very cute, too!
  • Options
    krazyshay1987krazyshay1987 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im kind of running into that same problem! I want to do flowers but not sure it can be fit into the budget. Im not the craftiest person to buy them from Joann's and DIY. My wedding's this October and it's outdoors in a garden setting.  My fiancee suggested parasols, but I don't really like the idea too much. Hellp? :)
  • Options
    loveslugloveslug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_alternative-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:99e375c1-bb92-418d-b546-7a9718130c5cPost:2704d891-ed8a-42be-8753-54a848f4508b">Re: Alternative to Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im kind of running into that same problem! I want to do flowers but not sure it can be fit into the budget. Im not the craftiest person to buy them from Joann's and DIY. My wedding's this October and it's outdoors in a garden setting.  My fiancee suggested parasols, but I don't really like the idea too much. Hellp? :)
    Posted by krazyshay1987[/QUOTE]

Pinwheels in your wedding colors?  They aren't too hard to make, are very cute, and might fit well with your garden setting.  Or small grapevine wreath wound with ivy and tied with ribbon...this would also be a relatively easy project.  Both of these could also be incorporated into your centerpieces, as well.

Or just keep the flowers very simple, like having your party carry a one or a few flowers tied together with ribbon, and then you carry a few more, rather than full bouquets for everyone.  The effect can be very elegant and beautiful.  The tables can then be decorated with vases with one or a few flowers each, or with vases that each have one floating flower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards