Flowers
Options

Too Many Boutonnières and Corsages?

Hello ladies, I understand that parents, grandparents, siblings, groomsmen, and other VIPs are supposed to get Boutonnieres and Corsages but what if you're having a small wedding?  Does it look weird?  There will be only 50 people at my wedding and if all the people who should get a corsage/bout do get one that would be almost half of the people there.

So . . . would that look strange?

Thanks!

Re: Too Many Boutonnières and Corsages?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think siblings need them.  As for other VIP's...who would you consider to be in that category?
  • Options
    RitaMLeoRitaMLeo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been told that my sister-in-law, my FI future sister-in-law, the girlfriend of my future FIL, and the FI of my future mother-in-law all require a corsage or boutonniere . . .
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok...my FI is one of 15 children...if we did boutonnieres and corsages for all of them and their SO's we would be in the poor house.  I think you can do your parents, FI's parents, your grandparents, FI's grandparents, your FI and his groomsmen and just leave it at that.  IF you wanted to, you could do the SO's of the parent's, but because they aren't married you don't have to, although it would be a nice gesture.  As for siblings...they don't need them.
  • Options
    soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did them bouts. for the groom (1) our groomsmen (4 including BM), fathers (2) grandfathers (3) ushers (4, all brothers of the bride), and pastor (1). So I guess we had 13. We also had corsages for the mothers (2) and grandmothers (2) and our soloist and organist (2) So 6 of those. Plus my flowers and the BM flowers.
    ~May 21,2011~
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who told you that the in-laws needed corsages/bouts?  The florist? 

Ditto Pattyand Alan to the people who need flowers.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

You are not required to provide corsages or bouts for siblings or other "VIPs" uness they are also in the wedding party.  It's a nice thought to honor certain people or relatives, but these days, a lot of brides are opting out because many people find the bouts or corsages more of a nuisance than an honor.

I would start with:

groomsmen
    FOB, FOG
    MOB, MOG

Optional:
    grandparents
    FG, RB
    officiant
    ushers
    readers
    singer, musician (if they are doing it as a gift, NOT if they are a paid vendor)
    optional "jobs" (guest book attendant, punch server, cake cutter....)

• Options
    WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2011

Aside from the groom & groomsmen, I was planning on parents and grandparents, and possibly siblings (not their spouses or SOs) depending on budget.  I'll probably also give a corsage to FSD if she wants one, but she'll already have a bouquet from being in the WP.   There's some of those relatives I could care less if they even come (because we're not close) but I really want to include other people at that "tier" and don't want to cause drama over a few flowers and a few minutes of my time.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    RitaMLeoRitaMLeo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_many-boutonnires-corsages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:baaf53aa-e5db-4b66-9c7c-76e0e8f32109Post:4c0da768-ada8-47a5-bb95-166d54299714">Re: Too Many Boutonnières and Corsages?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who told you that the in-laws needed corsages/bouts?  The florist?  Ditto Pattyand Alan to the people who need flowers.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

No, I think it was my mother.  I think some of the confusion also stems from the fact that when one of my brothers got married 4 years ago I received a corsage and our other brother received a bout.  We were not in the WP or doing anything special (readings, etc.).  I guess I feel we should reciprocate.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's totally not necessary...but is definitely your choice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing the WP, the parents, and grandparents. That's it. To go outside of that I think would be very confusing and hectic especially if you're doing them that day. Besides with a small wedding like you said you're having if everyone's wearing flowers it starts looking like a prom not a wedding. :)

Good luck with whatever choice you make!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a floral designer, I say this.  Flowers are for the wedding party, ushers, mothers and fathers, and grandmothers and grandfathers.  The rest is up to you.  Bunches Bob
    Bunches Bob "Have Fun With Those Blooms"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards