Flowers

Love this canopy! DIYers, weigh in please...

Some of you may have seen my posts about the ridiculous quotes I've received from vendors re: a canopy.  I've decided to take the bull by the horns, so to speak.

I love, love, love this canopy (from StyleMePretty.com).  DIYers, please tell me how much this might cost to assemble.  If you can, please breakdown costs for posts, greenery, flowers, cover (which looks like an old-fashioned lace tablecloth).

Your input is greatly appreciated!!  Thank you.

Re: Love this canopy! DIYers, weigh in please...

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Lisa, I just posted a response to you on the second wedding board, LOL.

I think the cost is going to depend on whether you want fresh or silk flowers. They will probably be comparable, but I have a ton of ivy ground cover in my front garden, so for me it would be cheaper, LOL. 

You would probably need to buy what's called "garden arches" in metal to serve as your stands, because I have not seen any similar to that, that are just single metal poles. The good news is that right now they are on sale at most major retailers........try googling "metal garden arch", then search the inexpensive retailers like Walmart, Kmart/Sears, JC Penney, Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon.com (where I find amazing bargains every time I look). I've been searching sales for other patio/garden things lately, and I have a feeling you can find the arches for about $29-$39 each. Most are in green or white.

It might be a bit late to find the ivy garland in silk on sale, as the hobby/craft stores already have their fall stuff out. However, hobbylobby.com, joanns.com, and again, the other craft/hobby stores in your area may have some on sale in the stores. Again, I tried amazon.com and search for artificial ivy garland, and you get several options ranging in price from $5.99 each to $60 for six 6 ft lengths.

If you want flowers, you could go real or artificial. Normal prices for artificial would be about $3.99 to $10.99 each depending on the quality you want. If you are getting fresh flowers for your wedding, try costco.com or go to a Costco store, as they have fresh bouquets for $16 each all the time at the floral kiosk.

I can't see the fabric, but summery fabrics are on sale right now at fabric stores. Check your area for Joann's, or their website. Not sure if you can order fabric online. You could also get a great deal at a Salvation Army, Goodwill or other secondhand store on lace tablecloths, the ones around here sell them all the time. Or check the websites I've mentioned for retail online sales. Depending on your source, probably $10 (secondhand) to $20 (new but on sale) for a larger dining table size.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

• edited December 2011
    I agree on fresh vs. silk flowers. You can do real ivy but you would need to wait to wrap the canopy until the morning of the wedding. I would probably just go with silk on this. Guests will be far enough away so they really wouldn't be able to tell real vs silk. Real ivy for that would require several large containers and the $ would get a little higher.

You could look at Lowe's or home depot for the wooden outline. If you can't find something already made that works you could easily buy some lumber and assemble the frame. You could also easily stain the wood to your color choice. I would predict $30-$40 for DIY frame.

I suggest going to a fabric shop for the fabric. If a family member has a lace table cloth that would work then go for it. You could find all kinds of fabric and colors at a shop though. A few yards wouldn't make the price too high.

I'd probably budget $150 for it off the top of my head.
    Anniversary
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dont forget to check on Craigslist in the crafts section, as well hit the garage sales/estate sales.  Now is the time of year people are cleaning out attics and closets in preparation for the holidays (at least I do!), and they want to unload the tons of fabric and such that they have accummulated over the years.

Good Luck and it looks lovely!
    Anniversary
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sue, Suz and Abbey ...

These are all good ideas, thank you.  Since the wedding isn't until next summer, I have time to figure out fresh vs. silk.  At first blush, I think I have to go with fresh -- the terrace for the ceremony is intimately small.  Our guests will be very close to the action.  You have confirmed my suspicion that I can get this done for a much more reasonable sum than what the vendors have quoted thus far.

You're the best!

Lisa

• Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might look into renting a "chuppa", which is very similar, or a free standing arbor, and having some ivy/garland pomander balls made up, either from a florist, or DIY in advance.  Then you can just loop the pomanders on the poles.  The material may or may not come with the chuppa, but you could probably check around for a bolt of fine woven tulle, or some sheer material.

Whatever you end up using, make sure it will be sturdy enough to stand on it's own, and not fall down with the slightest breeze or bump.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_love-this-canopy-diyers-weigh-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:be86c71a-e4df-44b9-8617-82ca02ccf329Post:781df437-bf31-43d2-9549-0a271d66d79c">Re: Love this canopy! DIYers, weigh in please...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You might look into renting a "chuppa", which is very similar, or a free standing arbor, and having some ivy/garland pomander balls made up, either from a florist, or DIY in advance.  Then you can just loop the pomanders on the poles.  The material may or may not come with the chuppa, but you could probably check around for a bolt of fine woven tulle, or some sheer material. Whatever you end up using, make sure it will be sturdy enough to stand on it's own, and not fall down with the slightest breeze or bump.
    Posted by Catwoman708[/QUOTE]

Good idea, thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    You can find real vintage lace table cloths at antique markets for $15-$50.
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    make sure you have a sturdy structure before you do anything. Because of the weight from the greenery and flowers on the tops of the poles,you will need to have it anchored securely.  Foliage and flowers are heavy even tho they don't look it. Try a mock-up before you decide to go at this by yourself.

Yes you can uses arch's as a base ,but...they will not look the same as your picture.
    just an FYI,this may be one project you leave to the professional florist.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_love-this-canopy-diyers-weigh-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:be86c71a-e4df-44b9-8617-82ca02ccf329Post:65d49920-b152-4dc8-8702-0dd5f5689182">Re: Love this canopy! DIYers, weigh in please...</a>:
    [QUOTE]make sure you have a sturdy structure before you do anything. Because of the weight from the greenery and flowers on the tops of the poles,you will need to have it anchored securely.  Foliage and flowers are heavy even tho they don't look it. Try a mock-up before you decide to go at this by yourself. Yes you can uses arch's as a base ,but...they will not look the same as your picture. just an FYI,this may be one project you leave to the professional florist.
    Posted by flower_diva[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are SO right that it may be best to leave this to a professional.  I go back and forth on the wisdom of doing this myself.  However, it is the <u>only</u> DIY project I dare to consider.  I love the look of the branches, and have begun pricing them (I would not go with arches).  With a TON of time between now and the wedding (early July), I have a lot of time to figure it out, thank goodness.

Thank you, all, for your feedback.  I appreciate it.  You've given me some good ideas.  Once I make the "final" decision, I'll let you know.  Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards