Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

SA Wednesday!

Re: SA Wednesday!

• edited December 2011
    I am trying to determine if I should go back to school.  It's expensive....but I think its cheaper than having to pay back my loans right now.  They come out of deferment in October.  If I just enroll in 9 hours, I can keep them deferred.  :-/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While Bill and I were at the Japanese Pavillion in Epcot, I bought my mom one of the little lucky kitties.  It was black and supposed to bring better health.  When we went to visit last night, it wasn't out where we had left it, on her little tray.  We searched everywhere in the room and didn't find it anywhere.  I'm so mad.  It wasn't very expensive--about $6--but still, she loves cats and it was the only cat thing we had in her room. 
  • edited December 2011
    Sparkling - I didn't think about the idea of my loans being deferred if I went back... I'll add that to my "Pro" list. :)

Half of my office is at Comic Con (don't ask...) the rest of the week. I don't want to go; I just don't want to be here, either.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    MsLaura- Comic Con?  Seriously?  LOL   Where do you work?
  • edited December 2011
    MsLaura- Yea, I am not ready to pay those back yet!  They added up way too fast!  Plus, I am trying to pay off other debt and don't want to have to pay that, my loans, and for the wedding all at once! :-)

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    We met with our officiant on Monday night and he said he will be doing a cultural ceremony for us and it be less complicated if go ahead and get married by JOP ( and have the JOP sign the license). With that said, looks like we are getting married some time next week, and then having the cultural ceremony/reception with our 250 guests as scheduled on Aug. 14.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so unbelievably sore from yesterday.

Julie, that sucks about your mom's gift. And it is not like you can go back and get another one without dropping some cash. Hopefully it will show up.
  • annielouiseannielouise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:35c0963b-82fc-4abc-ab59-dee8461ac3f8">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]MsLaura- Yea, I am not ready to pay those back yet!  They added up way too fast!  Plus, I am trying to pay off other debt and don't want to have to pay that, my loans, and for the wedding all at once! :-)
    Posted by sparklingdiamond[/QUOTE]

So just some helpful advice to give you ladies.  Visit the following website:

<a href="http://www.ibrinfo.org/">http://www.ibrinfo.org/</a>

IBR (Income Based Repayment) is now available on student loans.  I read about it in one of my magazines, got online to check it out and sounded like a great idea.  I called my student loan office and they helped me through the process explaining everything.. here's a bit of what I learned.

* Based off your income, the payments will be lowered--by a lot.  There's an online calculator on the website that will help you determine whether or not you will qualify.
    * Anything you pay off during the time you are on IBR (you must qualify every year) everything you pay goes directly toward the premium---this means no interest!  So even if you put more than the minimum on every month, it ALL goes directly toward the premium.
    * If you work for a local government/non-profit, debts owed after 10 yrs will be forgiven.  For everyone else,  it is 20 or 25 yrs. 

I ended up transferring to the IBR program on just one of my loans--and get this, it lowered my payments from $124 a month---to $15 a month!  That allows me to put $100 every month toward other debts!!  Doing all the math, this will end up allowing me to have ALL my debt taken care of in just 3 yrs...and end up saving me $35000 in interest on other debts. 

Check it out girls...it's a great program that more people should be taking advantage of!!!
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so ready for the wedding to be here already :( I am at that point were everything is planned and there isnt much more to do besides wait.....I guess that happens though when you have a long engagement

Also my FI REALLLLLLLYYY hates his job and he wants to quit so bad....I want him to be happy but we cant afford his salary loss at this point especially with the wedding in a few months. We are so torn on what to do :(
  • edited December 2011
    I wish I could go to Comic-Con. :-(

They have something for everybody there now especially with all the movie trailers that get a sneak peak there.  Smile
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I have decided to take steps towards moving back to ND.  I love it down here, though.  I love the climate, I love the city and all there is to do.  But FI wants to have kids within the next year and I just absolutely cannot imagine not having my family around when that day comes.  If his family were more supportive/close I think I would feel differently but being as close as I was to my grandparents, I really want my kids to have the same kind of upbringing I had. 
    I'm very excited to move back, but yet so nervous about starting over again.  Luckily the ecomony up there is booming, never been better, so finding jobs won't be tough.  And I will get to finish school without losing credits due to a transfer!  WOOHOO!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:7f6967d4-6455-4f40-a317-dc1ada7e9266">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday! : So just some helpful advice to give you ladies.  Visit the following website: <a href="http://www.ibrinfo.org/" rel="nofollow">http://www.ibrinfo.org/</a> IBR (Income Based Repayment) is now available on student loans.  I read about it in one of my magazines, got online to check it out and sounded like a great idea.  I called my student loan office and they helped me through the process explaining everything.. here's a bit of what I learned. * Based off your income, the payments will be lowered--by a lot.  There's an online calculator on the website that will help you determine whether or not you will qualify. * Anything you pay off during the time you are on IBR (you must qualify every year) everything you pay goes directly toward the premium---this means no interest!  So even if you put more than the minimum on every month, it ALL goes directly toward the premium. * If you work for a local government/non-profit, debts owed after 10 yrs will be forgiven.  For everyone else,  it is 20 or 25 yrs.  I ended up transferring to the IBR program on just one of my loans--and get this, it lowered my payments from $124 a month---to $15 a month!  That allows me to put $100 every month toward other debts!!  Doing all the math, this will end up allowing me to have ALL my debt taken care of in just 3 yrs...and end up saving me $35000 in interest on other debts.  Check it out girls...it's a great program that more people should be taking advantage of!!!
    Posted by annielouise[/QUOTE]

Does this apply to all loans or just government loans?  I also have some private loans.  I contacted Chase to see if they had any alternate payment plans and they told me no.  They have been the most difficult to work with. :-/

Anniversary

• angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last night, I received this text from my mom: After careful consideration (of the guest list) I have added 33 names.  That translates to 66 people, because of guests, and we've already ordered invitations, and I don't think there will be enough, which means reordering at higher per-item rates... but I can't complain, because she's paying, but still!  "Careful consideration" is like 5, not 33!!!

To those of you with student loans, and other debt - I went to a "building wealth" seminar last week, and they had a really helpful strategy for getting through your debt... make minimum payments on all your obligations so you aren't in default, but then put as much extra as you can toward the smallest obligation (instead of spreading that extra payment across all your debt).  Hit that one as hard as you can.  Once you pay it off, then you have that extra you've been putting toward the small one, plus the small one's minimum payment, to throw at the next smallest one... they called it the snowball effect.  Hope it helps someone :)
  • stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a migraine from hell today.  I'm also freezing and I'm wearing long sleeves, so maybe I'm just getting sick.  Either way it sucks.

I'm eating yogurt covered raisins right now and I can't stop.  They are my crack. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:7fe5b600-150b-4f01-99c3-867ff326e27f">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday! : Does this apply to all loans or just government loans?  I also have some private loans.  I contacted Chase to see if they had any alternate payment plans and they told me no.  They have been the most difficult to work with. :-/

I'm really not sure how/if it works with private loans?  Have you thought about trying to consolidate the debts?  I know there's going to be a lot changing now that the government is taking all of it over, but I think I remember hearing new changes wont apply to old debts?

Your best bet is to probably do some research and then go in to a Chase branch to talk directly with a consultant.  Considering they are a bank, they are in it to make money so they may not offer similar programs?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Angie's mention of the snowball effect is also very effective!  I've been using this method and it's great to see debts completely taken care of---plus, it only motivates you more to keep going!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm out of work for the week and its only Wednesday.  That wouldn't be so bad if there was something else I could do but my boss told me to just look busy and work on wedding stuff.  I can only do so much from work without everyone knowing and it makes for a really long work week!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    IBR (Income Based Repayment) won't work for me... we make too much :(
  • edited December 2011

Is there a certain amount you have to make to qualify for IBR?

Anniversary

• bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know what I hate?

1. Fake friends.
    2. People who don't do what they say they're going to do & people who do what they say they're NOT going to do.
    3. When people spell the word aisle "isle".
    4. People misusing the word "their", "they're" and "there"
    5. Also, hate the misuse of "your" and "you're"
    6. People that constantly complain about things that they have control over... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT then.

UGH. Today, is not my day.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:dfe14330-c30e-4877-b1af-91300077db34">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know what I hate? 1. Fake friends. 2. People who don't do what they say they're going to do & people who do what they say they're NOT going to do. 3. When people spell the word aisle "isle". 4. People misusing the word "their", "they're" and "there" 5. Also, hate the misuse of "your" and "you're" 6. People that constantly complain about things that they have control over... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT then. UGH. Today, is not my day.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

How did you read my mind??  Seriously.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:a5d5977c-5447-4b95-bb56-55826ae7a427">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there a certain amount you have to make to qualify for IBR?

Theres a few factors that they take into consideration--whether or not you're married (filing jointly vs separately); loan debt; loan interest; salary; and dependents.  The calculator will give a good idea whether or not you would quality.  I don't know off hand what the requirements are to qualify.  Here's the link to the calculator:
    <a href="http://www.ibrinfo.org/calculator.php">http://www.ibrinfo.org/calculator.php</a>

I do know that if you file separately even if you are married that only your income will be taken into consideration.  So if your spouse makes more and would be a factor in qualifying it may be worth doing some math to figure out which would be more beneficial to your situation.
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:b50c38ae-4ff6-47f8-bf56-107406cc93ff">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday! : How did you read my mind??  Seriously.
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

Haha... maybe we're on the same wave-length!  :)  It just annoys the crap out of me! 
  • edited December 2011

Its unfortunate that my FI and I filed our taxes jointly.  I would end up with a much better payment without including his income!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Tiffany - I work in sales for a production company. Just trust me... Comic Con is highly work-related.

Annie - Thanks for that info! I'm not super concerned about my loans (I was lucky enough that my parents paid for most of my college.) But when thinking about grad school, the deferment is something to consider...
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:dfe14330-c30e-4877-b1af-91300077db34">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know what I hate? 1. Fake friends. 2. People who don't do what they say they're going to do & people who do what they say they're NOT going to do. 3. When people spell the word aisle "isle". <strong>4. People misusing the word "their", "they're" and "there" 5. Also, hate the misuse of "your" and "you're"</strong> 6. People that constantly complain about things that they have control over... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT then. UGH. Today, is not my day.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this. As for the bold, I'll admit that my typing goes on auto pilot a lot... I find myself making those mistakes, not because I'm not aware of the difference, but because I'm typing too fast and not paying enough attention.
  • edited December 2011
    BSN, you said it all for me :) Especially 4, 5 and 6!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:1104c2d0-cbe6-4fd0-8b93-aa511f66880f">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]...make minimum payments on all your obligations so you aren't in default, but then put as much extra as you can toward the smallest obligation (instead of spreading that extra payment across all your debt).  Hit that one as hard as you can.  Once you pay it off, then you have that extra you've been putting toward the small one, plus the small one's minimum payment, to throw at the next smallest one... they called it the snowball effect.  Hope it helps someone :)
    Posted by angieandjames[/QUOTE]

This seems odd to me.  Wouldn't you want to put the extra toward the one with the highest interest rate (as opposed to the smallest obligation)?
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]You know what I hate? 1. Fake friends. 2. People who don't do what they say they're going to do & people who do what they say they're NOT going to do. 3. When people spell the word aisle "isle". 4. People misusing the word "their", "they're" and "there" 5. Also, hate the misuse of "your" and "you're" 6. People that constantly complain about things that they have control over... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT then. UGH. Today, is not my day.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]I LOVE YOU. 
    To add to it:  People who misuse the words "loose", "lose" and "loss".  Seriously.   It's not that hard.
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:531bd923-b669-4b00-9d38-090e35ef6b3aPost:38d47c22-ee7a-40dd-9b2c-9eb10d366809">Re: SA Wednesday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday! : I LOVE YOU.  To add to it:  People who misuse the words "loose", "lose" and "loss".  Seriously.   It's not that hard.
    Posted by Mariah&Steven[/QUOTE]

Mariah - I love you too.  :)  I'm just having one of those days where I want to tell everyone to shut it! haha... I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards