Flowers
Options

Is this reasonable?

I went to my local grocery store to get a quote on my flowers, thinking that would be the cheapest route to go.  This was my quote:

4 bridesmaids bouquets, 8-10 roses
1 bridal bouquet, 18 roses
5 boutonnieres, 1 rose each
1 6" cake topper
Total: $510

I think my jaw hit the counter! It was way more than I expected.  Am I just clueless as to the cost of flowers?  She said each bridesmaids bouquet is $75, which I think is a little ridiculous for 8 roses.  I really didn't want to be going the DIY route, but at this rate I may have to.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is this reasonable?

• Options
    future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They DIY route would be way cheaper.  I'm doing 4 bouquets and 18 pin-on corsages/bouts for $160. 
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel it's a little high for a grocery store florist, but not unreasonably so.  In some areas, that would be cheap. 

DIY is definitely cheaper, if you have the time and the know-how.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    samsclub.com or even 50fowers.com can get you about 1/5 of the grocery price, its DIY. But think about your budget, could you use the ex money elsewhere, or ithis the route to go, is it the only place in town? Roses are pretty common so you should try local florists, as well if there some around where you live. Im pretty much making my sisters (also they are my BMs) help with the flowers, they are artsy and willing to help :) just thoughts...HTH! :)

First Date: June 8, 2009

Engaged: January 16, 2010

Tying the Knot: April 3, 2011

Wedding Countdown Ticker Someone who does not run towards the allure of love walks a road where nothing lives.-Rumi
  • Options
    lindsayfalllindsayfall member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hey mef1183, I think the quote you got was ridiculous!!

I work at a privetly owned flower shop which caters to a more upscale clientele, and we don't even charge this much!

My suggestion to you would be to check out another florist, you would probaly get a cheaper quote (depending on where you live). You would also get more expeience and expertise then from someone at a grocerystore (don't bite my head off for this one, I'm just assuming).

Going DIY can be a bit cheaper, but much, much more stressful, and if you don't have experience, can end in a disaster.

Shop around and see if you can get it any cheaper, if you do decide to go DIY, depending on how much time you have before your wedding, go to a class or seminar for flower building ($50-$100) if not, at least buy a few cheap flowers, (carnations, daisys?) and pratice a few times in advance.

Good Luck!!

(Iwould be aiming for a price between $300-$400 MAX)

• Options
    afloggieafloggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That prices is wayyyyy crazy, do not use them, order in bulk and DIY or get a few other quotes
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is crazy high for a grocery store florist. My bridesmaid bouquets have been quoted at $75 but they have several flowers in them and more than 8 stems! From what it sounds like you need, DIY is cheaper. You may consider practicing on the bouquets/bouts before the wedding; however I would predict that this would only take 1-2 hours.  You should also speak with your cake vendor and see if she puts on the flowers. You could purchase some extra stems for her to add to the cake so you wouldn't have to worry about it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!  It's looking like I may have to DIY them, I just can't justify spending so much on a relatively small amount of flowers.  I'll probably call around and get a couple more quotes first.  But WOW that price made me dizzy! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I work at a locally owned flower shop too. Unless you live in New York City or LA, or are getting married around Valentines Day that is a lot for a grocery store. Our rose price is $5.50 a stem and that includes greens and labor. You did pick a more expensive flower so that has increased your price a lot. They only way I can see your price being that high, even at a local shop, would be if it included delivery and pick up of the flowers or centerpiece containers (which you don’t have any of). Get some prices from local flower shops.

The price difference is probably because grocery store florists do not no how to make bouquets and anyone there who does is probably the only one and has to do it all themselves. I would stay away from DIY flowers because they are so fragile and die so quickly. To DIY you would really need to do it the night before... and I am sure you have other things you would rather be doing. It is especially difficult if you do not have a cooler to keep your flowers in (DO NOT use a refrigerator unless it has been cleaned out with bleach because the chemicals fruit emit kills flowers). And if you are not experienced with bouquets you might be keeping your roses out of the water for too long. Further, boutonnieres are very complex and are not the easiest to make. If you have never done it before, expect all of the arrangements you listed to take you 3 hours or longer.

If you insist of DIY, practice. You might also be able to find a local wholesaler who is willing to sell to you as a private individual. They aren't supposed to but many do and you will get a great price on super fresh flowers. If they all tell you no find out what day your local grocer gets in flowers... remember they might not get in all of what you need for your wedding. You can also try those flower ordering sites but there is no way to know the condition of the flowers, they are SO fragile.

Good luck to you! My suggestion is always try a local florist. Smile

• Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Bridesign.com for roses.  They have 3 different types, all kinds of packages so you can mix and match, and they ship to you directly.  Good Luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I can do your flower package using artificial flowers for $300
    Email me directly ..........budgetbouquets@gmail.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards