Flowers
Options

Most essential flowers? and rude florists?

Ok, I just had my first floral appointment at a suggested wholesale florist.  I went by myself which was terrible, and this woman made me feel as though she had barely any time for me (most likely due to my small wedding of approx 75), did not even ASK me my budget before we started, and tried to tell me what I needed.  I kept asking her "oh I'm concerned with budget, how much does that cost?" and she told me she'd tell me at the end when she totalled it all up, and continued to discuss details of something I wasn't even sure I could afford (centerpiece for the fireplace I'm getting married in front of).  I told her I want a small bouquet and she showed me a picture of one in a magazine and told me "that's very modest, this price is about as low as it goes", like saying what she came up with for me is a good deal and I shouldn't bitch.  After it was done, she gave me sample flowers (one of which wasn't even one I picked out! so I had no idea what the bouquet would look like, even though I asked for examples/photos) and she didn't even say goodbye or thanks.

So first off...are many florists this pushy and snobby??  She said she had 30 other weddings going on almost every weekend so my tiny wedding wouldn't make a difference.  I think in the future I should be more specific with another florist EXACTLY what my budget is and that I want say only 3 stems of flowers for the bridesmaids vs. a whole bouquet and only twice that for mine, etc.  Is this what people do at the florist?  Are you suppose to be more specific and pushy about your desires, even if they barely let you get a word in?  I felt like I was being rude saying even what I DID say!  I'm pretty sure I will be making many things myself to save money considering what she came up with was about $250 more than I was willing to spend!

This post is also just a heads up for brides who haven't been to a florist yet...PLAN everything, TAKE someone with you, ASK questions, and BE specific! or they will give you the run around!

Re: Most essential flowers? and rude florists?

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you just got a bad one.  The advice I give is go in prepared with a budget and pictures of bouquets, centerpieces, etc.  A good florist is going to keep working with you until you get what you want within your budget. 

For me, that meant walking in with a magazine pic of a gorgeous bouquet of white roses, sweet peas and lavender and watching florist roll her eyes while cursing Martha Stewart.  She explained why you don't want to use sweet peas in a bouquet and we kept at it until I finally settled on a bouquet of daisies, double white lisianthus and pearl spray accents.  I never would have thought of this combination but it had the same feel as the one I wanted and was well within my budget.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    MIne was so not pushy.  She asked what I wanted and then asked questions for clarification from there.  When I said I didn't want something she said ok.  When I said I didn't want flowers for the church (they have very strict rules) she agreed.  When I said I wasn't looking at anything for the reception yet she understood.  She gave me a price quote and told me to let her know if/when I was ready to book.  She absolutely got the job.

I think that the term "bridezilla" gets thrown around so much that as brides we get worried that people will think of us as that.  As a result we don't stand up for ourselves in situations where we would if we didn't have a ring on our finger. 

OP, don't hire her.  Find someone else.  It's your wedding, you and FI should have what you want. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys, I am definitely going to call up some other florists.  I just wish I could find one that is less busy; they all seem too preoccupied to really help me (I couldn't even get an appointment out of the first one I called).  At least the first florist gave me some good ideas for the flowers I might want.  I thought of doing the bouquets myself with my bridesmaids but that would be too time consuming for night before/day of.  The lack of stress is worth the extra bucks to book someone for you I think.

As far as bouquets go, that florist made it seem like no matter what I decided on it would automatically be $100, if I only wanted like 4 stems of tiger lilies, 2 stems of purple montes (small daisy-looking grouped flowers), and 2 stems of lavender would it really be THAT much?  (I know the labor and refrigeration is the main cost, but that's like barely any flowers!).  Also for the bridesmaids I don't know what she considers a "small bouquet" but she charged me $40 EACH, all I really want is literally 3 orange gerber daisies and maybe two sprigs of lavender or redish orange roses.  So I think the cost may be more because I want lilies? Is that it?

I won't go with this florist for sure now, just trying to figure out average prices and how I can consolidate my $577 avg cost with this other florist into something more like $250-$300.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to your local board and ask the girls there to give you some recommendations.  I know I loved my vendors enough that I always recommend them to anyone who asks.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards