Flowers
Options

Am I in the wrong?

So I got an esitmate yesterday from my florist. The total price she gave me was $5037.00 for flowers for the bridal party, ceremony (pews, alter) and reception (about 40 tables). I emailed her back and made some big changes (WAY over our flower budget) and asked if we could subsitute for a more cost effective flower, and other changes, less flowers more candles, etc. She replied saying that maybe she wasn't the right person for the job. I feel completely let down, was I in the wrong?

Re: Am I in the wrong?

• Options
    future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely not.  You are the paying customer, she should try to accommodate you the best way she can.  If she can't, time to move on.  You might try talking to a florist and mentioning your budget before-hand though.  That way they can try to accommodate that first.
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, 40 tables is a LOT of tables.  The average floral centerpiece in my area is $20.  For your tables alone, you are looking at at least $800.  Your bridal bouquet is probably about $150-200, and your BMs anywhere from $75+.  Corsages can start at $25 and go up.  Pew clips or decor is typically $15+ and the altar arrangements are usually a minimum of $150 each.  But as I stated, that is in my area, I have no idea what your area is like. 

Why did you get an estimate in an email?  You should have met with her personally if you could and work things out.  So maybe you want peony and rananculus,  those are pricey flowers, what can she sub with.  What if they look you want cannot be substituted?   Why does she think she is not fit for your wedding?  Is she a high end boutique type florist?  Is she high demand?  I suggest getting other estimates but also go off of recommendations from others.  I would also see if there is a high school agriculture program in your area, many of them teach floral design and have experience in weddings.

If you are looking to lower your price, cut out the pew decor.  That is a large chunk right there that is pretty unnecessary.  There will not be many pictures with the pews in them anyway, and if you are thinking of you walking down the aisle, the eyes will be drawn to you in pictures, not to what is or is not on the pews.  You also don't need a ton of flowers (or any) on the altar.  Yes it is plain when you go there and it is empty, but your wedding party will be up there with you and will fill the space.  A lot of times the WP blocks the flowers anyway, including when you are all up there after for pictures.

I hope some of these suggestions will help you.

dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    ancavazancavaz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FH is a  florist and I helped him with many weddings, the average wedding centerpiece in Toronto is $50+ so for 40 tables you're looking at at least $2000 for centerpieces. That's a lot of tables!

I agree that she should have been more accomodating, but I doubt she can cut the cost by a lot, maybe by a few hundred. The truth is that 40 centerpieces require a lot of work to put together and set up...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $20????  I wish I was having my wedding where you are.  I am having my wedding in RI on the ocean and the cheapest I've been quoted at for a centerpiece is $85-$100. 

40 tables is a lot to ask of a florist on top of all the other arrangements she needs to do.  You aren't in the wrong for trying to keep the budget down but did you discuss your budget before hand?
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you should have discussed budget with the florist before she spent the time pricing everything out. Most of my weddings take anywhere from 3-6 extra hours pricing and getting a quote on the computer and to the bride. I am always very frustrated when someone tells me what they want ..i.e.   the whole nine yards,and telling me they really don't know what their budget is,only to find out after they get the quote that there really IS a budget.   JMO
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_am-wrong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:f24ff9b2-6ba6-43db-85a3-f00ee8280381Post:68801f1c-c4d5-41f1-9ec5-c177555dd643">Re: Am I in the wrong?</a>:
    [QUOTE]$20????  I wish I was having my wedding where you are.  I am having my wedding in RI on the ocean and the cheapest I've been quoted at for a centerpiece is $85-$100.  40 tables is a lot to ask of a florist on top of all the other arrangements she needs to do.  You aren't in the wrong for trying to keep the budget down but did you discuss your budget before hand?
    Posted by amylydia23[/QUOTE]

That was a low-balling starting price.  Lots of greenery and filler or mums/carns.  When you start adding other flowers, the price definitely skyrockets.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was quoted anywhere from $25.00 to $40.00 per table and that is with me providing the vase. it would be about 12 tables and 12 carnations in each vase.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jenn AnneJenn Anne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont know how many bridesmaids you have, but I have six, so what I am doing is I'm buying premade bouquets from Michael's (the craft store) for like $7 a piece. I'm adding just a few things to them and it wont cost over $10 a bouquet.

Another money saver is instead of flowers on the tables we're doing sand art. I was reading something that a lot of brides are choosing sand art for unity candles and centerpieces for the different kind of look and also its a lot cheaper.

I hope that may give you some ideas to help with your budget :)

PS- I defintaly think you were in the right to do that. She is one of those florists that I would not recommend to anyone. ever. Thats plain horrible customer service.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you wrong?  No, not technically.  But I can certainly see why the florist would take the stand she has.  Now, its time to move on.

The rule of thumb I use is first, determine my budget, per category, then shop (online, magazines, or bridal show) to find 2 to 3 vendors I like, then shop/discuss in person.

Now that you've gone through the pain with this misstep, you're in a much better position to find a florist who better suits your needs/budget.  Great suggestions were given above, especially cutting the pew decor.  Centerpieces may be another way to trim the budget.  Hurricanes, lanterns, candles, etc.  can be much more cost effective and just as colorful.  Just some ideas ...

You may want  to take the information you now know, figure out what you can live without and go, better informed, to another florist.  Perhaps begin the discussion with your known budget (if you don't live in a tiny town, let him/her know what happened with the other florist), the info you've learned from this and I'm sure you'll be in a better position to make the right decisions.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My budget was nothing like that...heck, my budget was about $300, but still had to cover everyone and everything...The budget itself was not negotiable...and we told this to the florist.  She wound up not being able to offer the flowers we wanted for anyone but the bride and groom, and basically giving everyone else hydrangas and iris' (we wanted picasso calla lilies).  She came back with a final estimate of $550...more than we could spend, knowing that we could get a better deal online and have everyone with the correct flower...So now I am doing EVERYTHING myself  two days before the wedding for a total price of $330...granted that does not count man hours to put 23 things together...aka bouquets, bouts, alter arrangement and centerpieces, and corsages...(okay so our centerpieces are one flower in a bud vase). 

As long as you talked about everything first, budget, expectations, prices...you are definatally not in the wrong!  If you didn't and just have sticker shock then maybe.  Depending on the flowers you chose, I do think she should have been a bit more accomidating and headed back to the drawing board with you though..unless you were using the lowest cost flowers to begin with. 
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would look elsewhere.  Our centerpieces are runnng about $45 a table. 
  • Options
    benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also look into other florists.  I priced 2 florists doing basically the same arrangements and bouquets.  But you should be very clear with the florist what you would like to spend and see what they can do to work with your budget.  

Also, consider alternatives for the table centerpieces like candles, mirrors, a few flowers floating in vases of water, etc.  It may take you more time to prep, but it could save you a lot of money.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards