Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Music selections to deter "booty bumping"

My groom and I are quite concerned about making certain that our wedding reception will be family friendly. I absolutely do not want any booty dancing etc going on. It's my wedding, and this is my choice, but I do want my friends and family to still enjoy the night and have a good time. I will tailor my song selections to keep the dancing more G or PG rated. What songs do you all recommend to encourage the appropriate dancing but keep the guests happy and on the dance floor?
Beka Lou

Re: Music selections to deter "booty bumping"

• Options
    edited December 2011
    disco - She's a Brick House, Shake Your Groove Thang, You Should be Dancing, etc

classic rock - Magic Carpet Ride, Sweet Home Alabama, Twist and Shout, Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Caroline, etc.

Journey, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree w/previous post.  Would add Motown.

btw, congratulations of thinking of this.  The only thing more uncomfortable than the dancing I think you are trying to avoid is what I saw at a wedding once: the bride and groom doing the junior high shuffle to Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's singing "Let's make Love."  There was no one who was comfortable watching them dance and kiss to this song.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    bekahjane89bekahjane89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both soo much!! I appreciate both of your posts, they are very helpful!
    tldh - we will be taking dance lessons, that is just about all the dancing my FI can do and I just won't subject our guests to it (or to that song! Wink)
    Beka Lou
  • Options
    angiems97angiems97 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Group songs such as Chicken Dance, Electric Slide, and YMCA are family friendly and the kids can participate.  People get out to dance to these and nobody should do inappropriate dancing to these!! :-) Make sure to put some songs that can cause inappropriate dancing on the Do Not Play List (Big Butts, Nelly, etc.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    tell your dj "no house/club music" and rap is rarely family-friendly. I just banned rap completely.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! Thank you guys soo much!
    Beka Lou
  • Options
    cutypie953cutypie953 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I was the exact same way and I just informed my DJ and he took care of the music selection to make sure it was family friendly.  Everyone was on the dance floor the who night with zero booty shakin'!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to everyone who posted! We're putting together a list of "must haves" for appropriate dance songs and leaving the rest to the DJ with the strict guidelines! : )
    Beka Lou
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At my cousin's wedding, the DJ played that god-awful Eminem song "there she goes bumpin and grindin that pole." I was mortified. Thankfully, no one acted out the lyrics on the dance floor, but I decided then and there that songs like that would not be played at my wedding. There are just some things kids (and sometimes adults) shouldn't see or hear at a wedding. Gangsta rap and booty shakin being the top two.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards