Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Looking for a father daughter dance

My father and I are not super close, nor have we ever been.  My mother raised me however, I want to include my father in my wedding because I don't think that it is the place to rehash family drama.  However, It is difficult finding a father daughter song that is not talking about the father giving away his little girl and how difficult it is.  Everyone at the reception will know that my father was not there my whole life and I don't want it to appear that we are acting like it is something that it isn't nor ever was.

Re: Looking for a father daughter dance

• Sarah K. B.Sarah K. B. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm not super close to my father either, however we didn't have a bad relationship, we just don't have much in common. I'm dancing to Daughters by John Mayer. it's light hearted enough and not over played like "butterfly kisses' or anything like that (no offense to those who have danced to that song!)

Good Luck!!

• edited December 2011
    Are you sure you want to do the dance? I know you said you are worried about family drama, but it sounds like it would be a very uncomfortable 2-3 minutes. As far as songs go I like "What A Wonderful World". It doesn't say anything about dads at all.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_looking-father-daughter-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:84b67a1b-72be-470c-ae3e-ef13139d3360Post:dc2fc6b8-a0e0-4be3-b892-7b7a655b10a4">Re: Looking for a father daughter dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not super close to my father either, however we didn't have a bad relationship, we just don't have much in common. I'm dancing to Daughters by John Mayer. it's light hearted enough and not over played like "butterfly kisses' or anything like that (no offense to those who have danced to that song!) Good Luck!!
    Posted by Sarah K. B.[/QUOTE]

i love this song too...but i'm not sure its appropriate for a father/daughter dance.  i'm definitley not judging you by any means..its your choice, but the meaning of the song isnt really a happy one.  its about a girl who was left behind by her father...and the guy (john mayer) realizes that she's complicated b/c of what happened in her childhood....  and he cant do anything about it. 

just wanted to let you know....i'm not sure if you knew the song meaning.

i thought about having this song too...because i'm not close to my father either.  but this song makes me cry every time i hear it...and thats just not how i want to feel on my wedding day.  you know?  i hope this was helpful and not a total downer!  sorry!! 
  • jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto "Wonderful World," that's what my dad and I are dancing to.  Bonus - it's short and sweet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards