Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Reception Music-No DJ!!! HELP!

Ok, So we decided to try saving a little money by not hiring a DJ. Thing is, now Im starting to freak out. What we were going to do is just download a playlist, but I'm not good at picking out music, other than what I like. Lol...neither FI or I are much into dancing. I personally didnt even want a first dance, but he talked me into it! =( And I dont just want to play crappy club music all night. Any ideas on what would be some good songs to play?

Re: Reception Music-No DJ!!! HELP!

• Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    nataliewahmnataliewahm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same spot.  Thanks for posting this!  
  • Options
    carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep same w/me. I dont see the point in hiring a DJ. We dont think we will have hardly anyone that will dance. I dont really care about having a first dance either. We would just like some background music playing . I will have to check out that website too. Thanx!
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • Options
    Roxygrl2002Roxygrl2002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go for some of the classics - We are family, sweet caroline, ymca...
    But maybe you could poll your guests on your wedding website and ask them what they would like to hear and get a real mix going there.
    Hope it works out for you!

Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Think about the people you're inviting and what would make them have a good time too. Like the majority of my relatives are rednecks, so I'll play some fun upbeat country songs to get them moving... even though I DESPISE country. lol. And there are always the classic rock and 80s pop songs that everybody knows... other than that, google wedding playlists.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some DJ's have prepared lists of the most popular wedding songs to help couples plan their reception, you could always check out a couple DJ's to pick their brains, you don't have to tell them you aren't planning on hiring them. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IPOD weddings ALL are terrible beleive me I have seen many and not ONE was any good at all
    Burt and Cheryl
  • Options
    cmjostcmjost member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://chicagoweddingdj.org/2010-wedding-playlist-for-couple-in-their-twenties

this playlist is great!  My wedding is in 25 days and I am doing it myself!  The last few weddings I have been to have had DJ's and they STINK!  They all pretty much set up their laptops, or ipods and walk away!!  Im not paying for that!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depending on your guestlist, include some country, some old school R&B, standards.  We had about 2/3 of our guests that were over 40.  My daughter had given her DJ instructions that he COMPLETELY ignored.  He played rap song after rap song and NONE of those people danced.  When I finally made an issue and he played some of the other types, the dance floor filled.  It was the only big negative of our whole day.  We payed 1500 dollars and did NOT get what we payed for.  I'd have prefered doing the ipod and letting my 18 year old nephews handle it.

Sorry...still not over it!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards