Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Tim McGraw "My Little Girl" Father/Daughter dance

Ok. So I want a country song for me and my dad to dance to at my wedding... he's a country boy. The only one I feel really has meaning to us is Tim McGraw's "My Little Girl". My mom said she thinks it says what my dad feels... and he's always saying that its going to be hard on him when I move out (I'm not moving out until I get married - I just graduated college and trying to save money for wedding and a home). The only problem... when I played it for FI, he says I can't play that song because of a particular lyric...

"Someday, some boy will come and ask me for your hand.
But I won't say "yes" to him unless I know, he's the half
that makes you whole, he has a poet's soul, and the heart of a man's man.
I know he'll say that he's in love.
But between you and me. He won't be good enough!"

I told him that it doesn't really mean that he doesn't think he's good enough... this is just how dad's feel. My dad loves FI and says that I couldn't have found a better man... so what does everyone think of this lyric? Will it hurt FI's family's feelings? Need opinions! Thanks!

Re: Tim McGraw "My Little Girl" Father/Daughter dance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I 100% agree about the exact same line in this song!

Try "I Loved her First" or "Stealing Cinderella" - the sentiment is kind of similar but without the awkwardness of that line.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is the song that I am using. I think that it is appropriate because no matter what we are always our daddy's little girl and no one can take his place in our life. I feel like that is what it means. In Dad's eyes no one can ever be good enough for their little girl.
  • Options
    bkmiller83bkmiller83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the same feeling about that song. I wanted to use it, but couldn't get past that line. It's only one line, but I don't want the thought to cross his mind that my dad doesn't think he is good enough.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if your fiancé knows your dad approves of him, then why does it matter?  it's not like your dad actually WROTE the song.  i don't know it, but it sounds lovely and if it has meaning to you then you should go with it.  maybe have your fiancé and dad hang out one day, just the two of them, so your fiancé can be assured that dad really is a fan. hopefully your man will come to understand that it's just a dad thing to think of his little girl as a perfect princes, always #1 in his heart! that's all that line really means. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yea - i think it more just means that he'll never take the place of your dads love -

its a precious song!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    shroombombershroombomber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the song is perfect. Its one of my choices. Cause in every dad's eyes no man would be perfect for his little girl. And like someone else said no one will replace a dad's love.

If you love the song and feel that it is the perfect song for you and your dad I say go for it. Its a special moment between the two of you.
    I know in the back of my dad's mind he would want to dance to "Tequila" hahaha. (Only cause there is special meaning behind it. )
  • Options
    cat16_catcat16_cat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that the line isnt going to matter.  Its a line in the song.  What ever you choose should be fine. 
  • Options
    Gina MaeGina Mae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think you would be fine going with this song.  It just is saying that no one can love you as much as your dad does.  If you really like it and your dad does than you should use it.  IF it speaks to you use it!
  • Options
    carolinaila10carolinaila10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    im using it. my dad and i have loved that song since it came out. a daddy never thinks anyone is good enough for his little girl..no matter how perfect of a match you are. my dad emailed me after we got engaged with some thoughts and said that he couldnt think of anyone that would be a better match for me than my fiance. i dont think that line matters...because its tim mcgraw's words, not your dads.  my fiance knows me and my dad have that kind of relationship described in the song so hes not even thinking about it. its a song for you and your daddy!
    Mr. & Mrs. REB
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry about that part of the song. I wanted that song or Hearland's "I loved Her First" and my dad wanted the Heartland song because he has always thought of me when he heard that song. Consider that one if that part bothers you too much. Either way, they are both great songs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards