Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Canon in D

FI and I were watching one of the many wedding shows on TV tonight and got into a discussion about ceremony music..  I mentioned loving the idea of having Canon in D played at our wedding and he insists it "reminds him too much of a college graduation".  Does anyone else want to weigh in an opinion on whether it sounds more like wedding or graduation?

Re: Canon in D

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a church organist, so I play it often~for weddings.  Perhaps because I am a musician, it absolutely does NOT say graduation to me.  It's perhaps the most popular alternative to the traditional Wedding March from "Lohengrin" that I'm asked to play.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    IMO, the only "graduation" sounding song I can think of is "Pomp and Circumstance."  To me, Canon in D sounds wedding...there is zero connection {in my head} between Canon in D and graduation.
  • Options
    JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

couldn't have said it better than fpaemp2011!!!

imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_canon-d?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:fca401a2-2ef6-42f4-b82d-94cf9bd9882fPost:6d471d46-bc3c-4dc9-b652-98992ec9f86c">Re: Canon in D</a>:
    [QUOTE]IMO, the only "graduation" sounding song I can think of is "Pomp and Circumstance."  To me, Canon in D sounds wedding...there is zero connection {in my head} between Canon in D and graduation.
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

Ditto! I love Canon in D, but we got married in a conservative Catholic church & we could not have it bc it is considered secular. But we were able to compromise with something else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards