Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Which would you pick?

FI and I have been looking seriously at a photographer.
We really love her work her package includes
  • Unlimited hours of photography
  • Unlimited shots
  • All of the pictures on a CD
  • The printing rights to the pictures
The package is only $1200, sounds great right?
The downside is that her deposit is $600.
I know that's not a super huge deposit, but FI and I are both in college and are on a tight budget right now.

We found another photographer today that is more local.
Her work is great as well and her package includes:
  • Free e-pics
  • Four hours of photography
  • Unlimited shots
This package is $750, we can buy the CD with the printing rights for $350, so overall this would be $100 cheaper.
BUT her deposit is only $200, so it would be better for us right now.

I know that four hours doesn't sound like a lot, but FI and I are only planning on (at the longest) a 30-40min wedding and we're doing a cake and punch reception that we only anticipate on lasting about two hours.

I guess my question is which would you pick? Thanks for the input.
= )

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Which would you pick?

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please don't change the font color, it makes it really hard to read.

If you are sure you will only want the photographer for 4 hours then go with the cheaper one.  If you will want pics of you getting ready and what not then go for more hours.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry about changing the font color.
    I usually don't do that, I was just trying to differentiate between the two different photographers.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    We're meeting with the second photographer this weekend.
    We're leaning more towards going with her.
    = )
  • edited December 2011
    Go with the one that you feel most comfortable with. If you aren't comfy with the photographer it will show in the photos!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_would-pick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:0e8f4e0c-827f-4a6b-821b-3d3eb8bc40d7Post:1bb77484-5adf-4ba2-a1eb-bc3ff1978950">Re: Which would you pick?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Go with the one that you feel most comfortable with. If you aren't comfy with the photographer it will show in the photos!
    Posted by amberhanson[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
    We're meeting with the other photographer on Sunday, so we'll find out then if we like her.
    = )
  • edited December 2011
    You could always try negotiating with the photographer, maybe asking if you can do, say, $300 now, and $300 when it gets closer, and then the remainder whenever it would otherwise be due.  She might work with you; the worst she can do is say no.
  • edited December 2011
    We have asked her about that.
    We can pay $300 now and $300 later, but she won't reserve the date until we get the full $600 in.
    I don't want to lose the date and $300.
    = /
  • lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go for less time since you have a short/simple wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted on having the less time. If your wedding is going to be short, why pay more for more hours?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • drphotodrphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

For me, it would be based first on the quality of the images that the photographer produces and then on the photographers personality.  In tough economic times most vendors will work with you on pricing or payment terms.  If she said that she won't reserve the date, would she give you a right of first refusal on it with the deposit.  If she won't lock the date down, then the deposit should be fully refundable if she doesn't shoot.

Hope that helps,
    Corey

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards