Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Can someone explain the whole rights to photos thing?

So I'm starting to look at photographers and am going to start meeting with some. I think I've found one I like...But I don't get the rights to photographs thing. The one I like said we will get a disc and that FI and I will have all rights, but we can't make a copy of the disc and give it to our family. The Web site is set up so anyone can go on and order prints from there.So I have this disc, what can I do with it? Can I take it to Wal mart or Kinkos and make prints myself? Can I post my photos on FB? I don't quite get it....
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can someone explain the whole rights to photos thing?

• anastasia80anastasia80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should just ask them straight out, "Will I have the right to print these pictures?" Usually when you get a disc from your photographer with all the pictures, they give you rights to print them.  But just make sure with them again.
  • hollyjlynnhollyjlynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are getting rights that often means you will get a High Resolution disc of all the images. Your photographer should give you something signed from them giving you the rights since walmart, walgreens, ect. usually will not print anything without it. Also, some people may request or require that you only use the high res disc for yourself and not your family. Family would purchase prints off of their proofing website. It does depend on the photographer though. When you have the rights you can legally do anything with them such as putting them on facebook ect. My husband and I are wedding photographers and we have it specifically in our contract that those who get a high res disc just cannot edit or modify the photos. Every photographer is different so you just have to ask for contract details to be sure of everythign so you are not surprised later.Good Luck!-holly gauper
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    some photog. have in their contract they can use your photos for their own commercial needs, but you cannot (this is pretty standard), some don't allow you to crop their work or edit, some don't allow printing at all... which is total BS since then you don't really have 'the rights' to anything.  just ask pointblank what you get.  i never got any letter from my photog. just the DVDs and i can and have printed through snapfish, posted online, etc. just fine and with his knowledge.
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    holly -- Just so you know, wedding vendors are not allowed to post on these boards.  When the mod sees this post, she will most likely delete it and ban you from the boards.
  • edited December 2011
    There are rights and there are copyrights.  Your photographer will maintain the rights, you will never get those.  You should be able to get copyrights. 

The person with the rights to the photos can sell them for profit.  No photographer will give that up.  They want to be able to use the photos to show future clients their work, to eventually add income.  If they don't own the rights then they can't show the photos.  If you owned the rights to your photos, you could sell them to a magazine, art gallery, etc.  That's not good!  The photographer did all the work! 

At the very least, you should be able to receive a mid-res CD or DVD (make sure your computer can read DVDs if that's what you get!), along with a paper stating that you can get prints made wherever you want.  You would also be able to share them with friends/family (and they would also be able to make their own prints, with a copy of the letter of course) - but they can't sell the photos either.  If you want to post them online, you can ask for "web-ready" low-res files with your photog's watermark on them.  It's a little extra work for the photog, but it's free business for them.  Files for printing and files to be posted on the internet are usually in different color spaces.  That's why some photos look dull online but fab IRL. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lavalorelavalore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are rights and there are copyrights.  Your photographer will maintain the rights, you will never get those.  You should be able to get copyrights."
    jlsimon56 has that correct except backwards. The photographer owns the copyright the moment they take the picture and own the copyright forever, unless they contractually sell it. What is usually given to Clients and Brides are variations of Usage Rights. In the case of Weddings, the Bride and Groom are usually given a statement of "Personal Usage Rights", which allows the couple to print and purchase novelty items for personal use as much as they'd like. If you are only given Personal Usage Rights it is technically illegal [Under the Federal Copyright Act] to duplicate and distribute the disc. For that you would need "Distribution Rights" or ownership of the Copyright. Both of which come with a pretty hefty price tag.
    Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards