Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photography Schedule

I just had a question about what other brides have seen or done in terms of the photography schedule.

My fiance and I are perfectly fine seeing each other before the wedding, so we had figured we would do all of our wedding photography beforehand. I was a bit surprised when our photographer said that she thought we should spend an hour for photography after the ceremony/before the reception. She wanted to do the shots of me/him beforehand, and of the entire wedding party afterwards. She said it was so there are no distractions or annoying input from other people while doing photos of us.

I'm not sure how I feel about this because it adds another hour to our plans. None of the three weddings I've been in did this, but I know not all (if any) had professional photographers. Plus I kind of dislike making guests wait around for an hour...

Is this standard? Is this necessary? Doing this would make a big difference about how we do our reception and could potentially change our plans in term of time and location.

(Also, as a side note. I'm bummed that other professional cameras aren't allowed. A couple family members ONLY have professional cameras...I get why, it just makes me sad. Mini rant done.) 

Re: Photography Schedule

• edited December 2011
    An hour isn't bad. Really. As long as it doesn't stretch too much further than that, and there's a place for your guests to keep warm or cool, with something (anything, even soda) to drink, they won't mind much. A lot of them want to gab with people they know, but aren't necessarily seated with, about the ceremony.

That being said, the no-pro cameras thing? *that's* a little weird. My only really functional cameras are SLRs. I also wouldn't know how to approach guests with such a "requirement."
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is pretty standard to do bride and groom portraits after the ceremony while your guests are attending cocktail hour.  If, however, you are not going to provide a cocktail hour for your guests, I don't advise it.  It is rude to keep the guests waiting for that long.  Even though we did our family portraits before the ceremony, we took about 30 minutes to do pictures first with our officiates and then by ourselves afterwards. 

If you are waiting until after the ceremony to do all of the family and wedding party shots, I can definitely see this taking an hour.  We did ours beforehand and actually, we did have guests arriving and other distractions so I understand your photographer's point.  Most people still do it anyway to save that hour.  But either way, whether it's B&G portraits, or formals, you will need to allow some time after the ceremony and provide something for the guests while they wait.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I think the reason why my photographer wanted to do the B&G portraits beforehand was because she suggested we do them off-site, but very much nearby in an outdoors location.

I still feel a little weird about making guests wait, maybe because that hasn't been the case in any of the weddings I've been to. But I'm glad to know it hasn't actually fallen out of style.

We would certainly provide drinks (would have to be non-acoholic due to site restrictions) and some sort of hors d'oeuvres.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little better about this now.

@smokyhills: Me neither. But she warned me that her assistant would ask anyone with a professional camera to put it away. I know at least 5 people coming who use SLRs, so I can try to warn them. Beyond that will have to hope no one else has one/cares enough to bring one.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there....as a photographer I just wanted to add my two cents worth in here.

YOU are the client....YOU are paying good money for this photographer....YOU decide when you have photos taken!! And  YOU say if you guests can bring and use their camera or not.....its YOUR wedding. 

Too many photographers nowadays act like rock stars. I feel that since you are my client and its your day I will do whatever it takes to make your wedding planning and day easier and happier....why hire someone that isn't adding awesomeness to your day!!?

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Photography Schedule:
    [QUOTE@smokyhills: Me neither. But she warned me that her assistant would ask anyone with a professional camera to put it away. I know at least 5 people coming who use SLRs, so I can try to warn them. Beyond that will have to hope no one else has one/cares enough to bring one.
    Posted by mehri2011[/QUOTE]

I replied to this in a PM :/
  • edited December 2011
    My daughter and husband did all the shots ahead of time except for family photos...all the assorted family that were not there 4 hours early.

B/G with MOB's family
    B/G with FOB's real life family
    B/G with FOB's birth mom and half siblings
    B/G with Grooms family
    B/G Sunset pictures

It took an hour because these are large groups and the biggest part was herding up the people needed!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds a little upside down; usually, they want to get the family and bridal party portraits done prior, and then work with only you after.  And even that's only if there wasn't enough time to get the artsy/romantic portraits of you during the earlier segment.

At the end of the day, you're the client and should get what you want.  At the same time, though, you need to balance your freedom of schedule against getting the pictures you'll want and cherish for a lifetime.
  • drphotodrphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photography schedule usually runs like this:
    Bride Getting Ready
    Bride & Bridesmaids
    Bride & MOB/FOB
    Groom Getting Ready (2nd Photographer)
    Groom & Groomsman
    Detail Shots
    Ceremony area photos
    First Look
    Ceremony
    Formal photos B&G and Family
    Wedding Party
    B&G alone
    Reception

1 hour is usually sufficient to do all of the above after the ceremony at the same location.  Frequently the wedding party photos can be done before and potentially some of the family photos could be done before too.  The minimum amount of time could be cut to 30 min at the SAME site.  I'd add travel time + 20 min for moving to another site. 

We have a clause in our contracts that says no other professional photographer will be at the wedding.  To date, we've never had to tell anyone to put their camera away.  I have found that "aunt sally" with her point & shoot gets herself in the way ruining shots more often then would be portfolio builders.  If someone pulled out an SLR at any of the before/ceremony/formal photos we'd tell them to put it away too.

Corey Schwartz
    www.desertridgephotography.com

• edited December 2011
    The no professional camera rule is becoming more and more popular. Even showing up in contracts. The photographer and their team have the experience of setting up a shot.  And when someone comes in and try to take that shot as well it becomes annoying  And when it's a group shop some people don't know which camera to look in.  Just remember you're paying for the photographers time and experience not your "second cousin date"

If that's the case just ask everyone with a professional camera to come and take pictures.
  • edited December 2011
    The problem wasn't with the professional shots, but with the fact that they weren't allowed for the ceremony or the reception themselves. I don't want anyone else taking pictures during the formal pictures. I just want my family members to all be able to use their cameras during the ceremony & reception.

We worked out a deal with the photographer so that they can use their cameras then. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards