Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Have to do pictures before ceremony- help?

I have always wanted to stay traditional and have that first moment be when I walk out of the doors to see him. However, the location we planning on only allows pictures in the rest of the museum while it is open to the public, and we both REALLY want our pictures in the rest of the building. We cannot have the ceremony until after hours, so we would have to do the pictures before. I know there will still be that "wow" moment, and I know the guy doing our photos will get it. (I have worked with him on 8 occasions.)

So ladies- what is your experience with this? Did it take away from the ceremony, or did it help nerves?  I know I will still get emotional during the ceremony, seeing as strangers walking dow the aisle even makes me tear up. 

Re: Have to do pictures before ceremony- help?

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does not affect the excitement of the ceremony at all.   My heart was still pounding as I waited to walk out.  And when my husband and I saw each other at the reveal, the stress just instantly melted away.

I know many brides feel that there is just "no way" they would see their FI beforehand and that they want that "special moment" -- but the moment is still just as special no matter when you do it.  I have my reaveal pictures in my bio if you want to take a look.
  • SunBear22SunBear22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That looks perfect! It is so us too and it feels really intimate. Thanks for sharing that, it really helped seeing how excited you two were.
  • edited December 2011
    I watched my daughter's through a window  :)  She was so nervous before, and so calm after.  AND...it gave her a chance to touch up her makeup becaust they got teary  :)

My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    We did not do a first look and while I don't regret the decision (I always tell Hubs that I'll never forget the look on his face and the tears in his eyes when I made it down the aisle) I was so so SO nervous right before the wedding that all I wanted to do was see him! I think another benefit of the first look is that it's so much more private.

That being said, chosing not to do a first look was the right choice for us but there are so many great things about doing a first look and I don't think you'd regret it!
  • edited December 2011
    Because our ceremony and reception were in the same place it would have been impossible to do pictures during the turnover, so we did a first look. I always had said I wanted the traditional down the aisle thing and he did too, but the first look was one of our favorite moments. It was nice that we got to take a few minutes in the middle of the day where it was just us, away from everyone else. Plus, I've been to so many weddings where the bride and groom missed so much of their reception because they were taking pictures during it (That doesn't always happen, for sure!) and when all your pictures are done beforehand you don't miss out on any of it. I don't think you'll regret it at all!
  • beamer84beamer84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_pictures-before-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:895fe8f1-0cfe-491d-9e53-01d02056b25bPost:efebefbc-ac76-4243-9f9d-bb9e5f963023">Re: Have to do pictures before ceremony- help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It does not affect the excitement of the ceremony at all.   My heart was still pounding as I waited to walk out.  And when my husband and I saw each other at the reveal, the stress just instantly melted away. I know many brides feel that there is just "no way" they would see their FI beforehand and that they want that "special moment" -- but the moment is still just as special no matter when you do it.  I have my reaveal pictures in my bio if you want to take a look.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I agree. We did some pics before the ceremony, but DH was still tearing up while watching me walk down the aisle.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. We are doing pics before just so there is no down time, except travel to reception. We are planning on doing a first look. But if you don't want to do a first look, talk to your photog and see if they can setup the shots, so he does not actually see you. You slightly behind him or back to back. I am sure a good photog. should be able to work something out!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kasey GruenKasey Gruen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems like about 20% of my brides & grooms see each other for portraits before the ceremony... everyone is just as touched as they would otherwise be!
    And you get to go directly to your reception afterward!Smile
    K

http://www.gruenphotodesign.com
    Gruen Photo & Design, Asheville, NC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards