Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Professional Videographer vs. Honeymoon! HELP!

We are on a pretty tight budget and I've come to the conclusion that we are going to need to pick between having a professional videographer and having a real honeymoon. I already have the videographer lined up and I'm supposed to send the contract out on Monday, but then I got to really thinking... we could have an amazing honeymoon with the money we would be putting towards the video. We cannot afford both.

I have a nice camcorder that my parents got me for my birthday this year, so I would definitely be having the day taped.

What is your honest opinion on this?? Help!

Re: Professional Videographer vs. Honeymoon! HELP!

• edited December 2011
    I'm just in the midst of planning myself, but I thought I could at least offer an opinion.  I had no idea what a videographer entailed, but then I went to a couple of websites.  Most of them have samples that were, in my opinion, boring.  I'm not saying that it wasn't special for the bride and groom themselves, but all the documentation I saw could have been filmed by a friend. 

But then, I went to a different videographer site, and WOW.  Their sample was amazing (I think it was like a trailer that shows you bits of the actual full length wedding, which in my opinion was enough for me).  I was crying and I didn't even know the people.  The artistry was beautiful!  So, I think you can go with the honeymoon unless you see some amazing videography that you just HAVE to have!  Or, you can committ yourselves to budget after the wedding for the honeymoon, but stick to it, because I hear some people say that is what they planned, but never got around to.  Set aside a set amount of money a month and have your honeymoon on your first anniversary.   
    ~It took us five years to finally date, one year to become engaged, and the rest of our lives to fall in love over and over again~ siggy challenge - hair inspiration Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Don't spend money on a videographer. Get a friend to do it. We had DH's BIL record it. It's not the best video by any means...in some spots he juggles the camera a bit, but it was all that I needed. It captures the most significant parts for us without me having to drop a small fortune. In addition, he used iMovie and created a very nice DVD for us. Nothing outstanding, but sweet.

Now, other people might tell you that you should have a professional record it. Some people really want and care about that. If you don't think it will matter, then save your money. If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the honeymoon and get someone to record for me.
  • edited December 2011

It really depends on your preference. I'm not a fan of wedding videos in general and I much prefer photos. So hiring a really good photojournalistic photographer was good enough for me.

There was recently an article about this....
    http://www.soulfulengagements.com/1/category/videographer/1.html

• clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    For me, I would go for the videographer.  There is no way you could watch the reactions and the emotion all over again.  I met more people who regretted not having a videographer than one who didn't care.  The honeymoon, on the other hand, could be made up at the one year anniversary or whenever.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am 100% PRO Honeymoon! You'll have just gotten married, don't you want to go away just the two of you and enjoy some tropical (or otherwise) location, think of THOSE memories, because those are also going to be the ones you share with everyone. I say have someone you know film it with their video, thats what I'm doing, why drop a bundle on a professional videographer when any video camera will get the job done?!

Its not whose behind the camera that makes those moments special, its whose in front of it. Let someone you know film it and it will be just as special to watch it over and over again in the future!
  • edited December 2011
    My dad and stepmom were married about five years ago. They had a videographer for their wedding, and honestly, it is the most boring video ever. They have only watched it twice - once when they first received it, and then on their first anniversary. Even they agree it is dull to watch and that the pictures would have been enough for them. I would go for the honeymoon. You will already have a lot put into your wedding day, and pictures to remember it all by. Now celebrate your wedding with an amazing honeymoon to start your lives together with!
  • JenabennaJenabenna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got married in August and had over a year to plan the wedding. It was never really part of the plan to pay someone to record everything then make it fancy and give us a DVD. 

I had my uncle and cousin set up 3 video recorders around the church and one at the reception. Then unknown to me one of my husband's friends brought their own. I must say that video is pretty hilarious and caught some moments that many parents missed. But I still do not feel as if I missed out on anything by not paying someone. I recently got the other videos and I haven't even watched them. 

I do remember going on the honeymoon and having a wonderful time and wishing I had recorded some of the things we did but, I am glad we didn't spend a lot on pictures and video. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards