Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

New To Dallas

Hello!

We're about to move to Dallas in August and I just wondered how you guys see your city. I've been talking to a few clients of mine and everyone is saying something different. Anything in particular I should know about the area? We're looking for an apt in the Mckinney/Plano area. How's the downtown scene? What about good shopping? Anything would be helpful!!

Thanks!

Re: New To Dallas

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the downtown antique shopping in McKinney!  We lived in downtown Plano for a while and loved it.  There is so much cool stuff to do down there.  I don't know much about downtown Dallas though. :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There really is a ton of shopping no matter where you live in DFW.  In between Plano and McKinney is Allen and they have had a couple of new shopping areas open up.  Like the PP said, McKInney is great for antique shopping

And of course welcome to Dallas. Laughing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh yea! I love the outlet mall in Allen!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I just moved here last summer - it takes some getting used to, but I like it. Northpark and Uptown's west village are great for shopping. There are shopping centers everywhere.  Downtown  isn't much to get excited about, but Uptown is fun.  It's easy to get around because of all the highways, and no one walks anywhere. It gets HOT in August, but the weather will be super nice by the end of September.  People are nice, and there are lots of transplants.  Good luck with the move!
    image 208 Invited
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 102 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are MIA (RSVPs due 9.10)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It sounds to me like you are moving to a good area. 

Downtown Dallas isn't like San Francisco, Boston, or New York as far as the downtown action goes.  

If you want good shopping you can find that outside of downtown Dallas.  There are a ton of great things to do, see, and eat here in the Dallas area.  Just all depends on what you are looking for.  

Feel free to ask specifics and I bet we can help you out. 

I use to live in Houston and I will say I would never go back after living her in Dallas for the last 3 years.  I love it here!  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Downtown is mainly office buildings.  However, there are some really great museums in Downtown Dallas:  Old Red (you can learn all about the history of Dallas Co and the surrounding areas) and the 6th Floor Museum among others.  Plus you can take the lightrail to Downtown and not have to worry about paying to park.  Uptown does have some great restaurants and I agree that NorthPark is the best place to shop and see stuff you might not ever buy.  There's some really great stuff in Downtown Plano and Grapevine too.  Welcome to Dallas!!!!  I've lived here all my life and I want to live in the Dallas City limits again sometime soon. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love Dallas.  There is a ton of stuff to do here.  I'm from a small dirt town, so the first thing I noticed when I first moved here is that it is very busy and everyone is in a hurry.  Back to a ton of things to do - symphony, ballet, baseball, football, tons of shopping!  I think the downtown area is really cool, but I've been to Boston and like mralpha said - it does not compare - but it's not comparing apples to apples, either in my opinion. 

Welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where you are looking is a growing area. Definitely more of a suburbia type location; not your typical downtown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards