Pre-wedding Parties

Hors d'oerves Rehearsal Dinner

Just wanted to see what people thought about doing hors d'oerves only at the rehearsal dinner, no sit down dinner.  Our rehearsal dinner guest list is at 70 people and we are looking to cut costs so that we can keep it in our budget.A friend is catering so we are getting a great deal on the food, but it's been hard to find an affordable place that's big enough to have it that doesn't require you to use a preferred catering vendor or a rental service for tables, chairs, linens, flatware, etc.So an hors d'oerve rehearsal dinner is my big idea to solve the problem, but I wanted some feedback before I brought it up to my fiance.  So give it to me ladies!!!!

Re: Hors d'oerves Rehearsal Dinner

• edited December 2011
    As long as not during a meal time it is fine and the rehersal needs to be after meal time too
  • edited December 2011
    Will you have enough hors d'oeuvres to constitute a meal?  I'd probably be fine with 6-8 pieces, but my husband definitely would not.If you can't feed everyone the equivalent of a meal, then you need to have the rehearsal and RD at a non-meal time.is there a way to cut the guest list (e.g., not invite OOT guests)?
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • edited December 2011
    Oot guests that aren't family are already cut.  If they were included it would be 90 people or more!  We are having it on the Thursday night before the wedding so I'm hoping that will politely encourage a few more people not to make it, but unfortunately the guest list is already bare boned.  Sigh...   I think planning the RD has been the most stressful thing in the planning process!
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't include OOT family either for precisely that reason (never mind OOT friends).  Our RD with wedding party, readers, and immediate family (grandparents, parents, siblings) and all sig. others was 50 people alone.  It would have been at least 30 more if we included OOT family. You don't have to invite OOT family if your family dynamics allow for that.  My mother was p!$$ed we didn't invite OOT family, but we had to draw the line.
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • shwethasrinshwethasrin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could try looking into parks if you're having a summer wedding, or look into an Elks Lodge or a hotel banquet room where your guests are staying. They're usually pretty flexible with catering. Could you do it at your church/place of worship?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards