Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridal Shower and no kids--Help!!

Should kids be at a bridal shower?? I've asked my hostess to include a polite line saying "no kids" but then got told that my request was probably out of line. I've been to baby showers before where kids were running around screaming, etc. and it took away from the party. Am I being snooty or should kids really not be at a bridal shower?? Please help!!

Re: Bridal Shower and no kids--Help!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Some families include children at showers and they behave well, because they know what's expected of them. They are used to attending these events. Some families consider showers to be adult parties,where children would be bored and probably disruptive.
    If you don't want kids, that's okay. But it is not polite to write 'no children' on the invitations, just as you wouldn't write 'don't bring Aunt Sue'. You only put the names of the people you ARE inviting on the invitations.

• Options
    loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm only having female adults at my bridal shower next month. They will only be addressed to that person. My MOH made up a little rhyme on the invite which said something about all the ladies gather.....etc...word of mouth is also helpful but personally, I think putting 'no chidlren' is inappropriate

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, it's not appropriate to say who you're not welcoming on ANY invitation.

You don't have to have children at the bridal shower, but unless it's in a fine restaurant, I don't see the issue.  Then again, in DH's family (where there are a ton of kids), they're also well behaved.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice. I didn't want to put "no kids" on the shower invites, but maybe something like "adult games planned' or something to that effect unless there's some catchy saying we could use.
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Adult games planned would turn me off as an adult guest.  It makes me think I should tell my grandmother that there may be a pin the penis on the groom game.

I'd just do what you should do for wedding invitations.  Address the invitation to the adult only and if she responds that the kids are coming, say "no".
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, if I saw "adult games" written, I'd probably decline the invitation. If you really are playing "Pin the penis on the dude poster",  I'd be very uncomfortable about being there.

If you really ARE going to do something "adult" in nature, that is something that I'd make sure was announced by word of mouth so that you don't put people in an uncomfortable position.

If it's not what it sounds like, then just address the invite to the adults gathered, and have close friends/family spread the word via word of mouth.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards