Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Invited to RD, but not the WEDDING!

My fmil is insisting that she is going to be inviting friends to the rehearsal dinner that she is not inviting to the wedding. I told her that it isn't right, but she wouldn't listen and told me that her friend planned a rehearsal dinner and that it is fine to invite people to the rd that you can't afford to invite to the wedding. I am so embarrassed thinking that some people may be offended by the invite to the rd and not to the wedding and it may cause some confusion and they may end up showing up at the wedding. What should I do? I have been looking online for articles that explicitly say that it is bad taste and bad etiquette to do so, so I can send her the link. Any thoughts? Am I crazy, is it ok?

Re: Invited to RD, but not the WEDDING!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! This doesn't explicitly say that, but just says it should be an intimate affair and who you SHOULD invite: http://weddings.emilypost.com/etiquette/postings/rehearsal_dinner.htm
    160 image 99 image 13 image 48 image
    RSVP Date: June 18th
  • Options
    amdjellyamdjelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It took me a while but I finally found a link for you.  Under the guest list heading is this quote: " Under no circumstances should anyone be invited to the rehearsal dinner who is not invited to the wedding itself; this is not an opportunity to include guests who did not make the wedding guest list."  That should be explicit enough!  If she still insists, I would decline her offer to host the RD, and take it upon yourself if at all possible.  Here is the link: http://weddings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Rehearsal_Dinner_Etiquette

HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And if she still insists you and your FI have two options:

1) Decline the offer of the RD because it puts you in such an awkward place.

OR

2) Fake being very surprised when you see those people at the RD.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is wrong. I agree with banana. But I don't think I could do the latter, but maybe that is just me. If they are close enough to you to be invited to the RD, why aren't they invited to the real deal, the wedding? Doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would decline the offer to host the RD, and throw the RD myself.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ocgirl310ocgirl310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I'm glad I asked, I was thinking about hosting it myself but of course that would be the last resort since I don't want to insult her by doing so. Thanks for the articles! I will use those next and then go from there:)  
    Missysue- Just to clarify the people she wants to invite to the RD and not the wedding are people that neither FI nor I are close to at all and that is why they aren't on the guestlist for the wedding (ie. FMIL's mom's neighbors, FMIL nephew's 18 yr old gf, FMIL friends' adult children she doesnt know etc.) She doesn't want to pay the $$ for them to be at the wedding, but wants to include them somehow...I'm confused too..cuz its gonna look worse than not being invited to anything at all.
  • Options
    ocgirl310ocgirl310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amdjelly- thank you so much, that is exactly the kind of thing I need:) thanks for your help.
  • Options
    amdjellyamdjelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problem.  Hopefully she'll see why it's a bad idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are struggled a little because we both have very large extended families. There are over 100 Cayers (my FI last name)! Anyway, we wanted to "include" everyone though we couldn't afford to have everyone at the wedding. We are throughing a picinc a few weeks later and inviting everyone. Maybe that's an option? A smaller celebration after the wedding?
  • Options
    benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The other thing to keep in mind is that the RD should be your immediate family and your out of town guests.  If your FMIL is inviting friends that are not coming to the wedding, it sounds as though they would not fall under either category.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards