Pre-wedding Parties
Options

bridal shower gifts

How would I include on the shower invitation that the bride does not want to receive "sex toys, lingerie or any gifts such as this" at her shower?

Re: bridal shower gifts

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can't.

All you can do is make sure that the invitation itself is classy.  If people mention anything, say, "I do know that those types of things make her very uncomfortable," but you can't start off telling people what to buy her.
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen a bride receive gifts like that at a traditional bridal shower.  Is that common in your area?

Like banana said, have a classy looking invitation and if people ask for her sizes or make jokes about it, be sure to make it clear verbally and by word of mouth that it won't be that type of shower.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    There is no polite way to dictate what you want people to give as gifts. You can make the invitations look classy and everything... but if someone does buy sexy panties or a vibrator, oh well, it could be worse. I mean, who doesn't need new panties or a new vibrator now and then... am I right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  Personally, I haven't been to a shower where those types of gifts were given either BUT, it did happen to my one of the nieces and this bride (another niece) wants to make sure that it doesn't happen to her.  I don't know that this kind of gift giving is common in our area...it's been a while since I have been to a bridal shower.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-gifts-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:28b8e235-5789-4b33-a4bd-76c99f3bf8b9Post:19488097-a61e-4277-abea-c830aae944bd">Re: bridal shower gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can't. All you can do is make sure that the invitation itself is classy.  If people mention anything, say, "I do know that those types of things make her very uncomfortable," but you can't start off telling people what to buy her.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.. I've never seen lingerie and sex toys at a bridal shower either, only at the bachelorette party. I always thought the shower was more for the household items off the registry, and if gifts are given at the b-party they're normally the more sexy type of gifts. As pp mentioned, just make sure the invitation is classy and the guests should know that it's not the time or place for those types of gifts.
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Oh also, make sure she registers somewhere and include the registry info in the shower invitation.  That should help as well.  It's okay to include registry info in the shower invite, just not the wedding invite.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pulga131pulga131 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, make sure to include registry info, a classy invitation. Also, I know there is controversy over a themed shower, but it could help steer people into the right direction. We are throwing an ABC shower for a friend of mine, but making the rules of buying very loose- it only needs to remind them of their letter - it doesn't have to actually be in the name of the item.  That ways it gives flexibility, but opening gifts will be a lot more interesting and it should keep guests to the registry
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards