Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Can my bridal shower be this early?

Hi, I am getting married in May. My mom and I decided that it would be best to throw the shower the December before because I am graduating in May. My last semester is going to be very hectic and will be out of the area (at collge) until May. So is 5 months before the wedding too early for my mom to throw my bridal shower?

Re: Can my bridal shower be this early?

• Options
    frenchy730frenchy730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are no rules that say when a shower has to be held, but traditionally they are held around 1-2 months before the wedding.  I don't think I'd be too thrilled if I was invited to a shower 5 months before the wedding.  

When do you graduate?  I see you're getting married at the end of May... is the begining of May a possibility?  Or will you be home for Spring Break at all?  I suppose if there was really no other possible time to do it, and your mom is insisting you have a shower, it would be fine, but I'd try to schedule it  closer.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most would think it was odd.  And for me, the added expense of having to buy a shower gift during the holiday season, AND attend another party at  this time of year might be off-putting.

Will you be home at Easter?  That would be a better time frame, IMO.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's too early.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_can-bridal-shower-this-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:28c41678-c87b-4f7a-b87d-5860ea6654a6Post:0a5335ea-1104-4908-b59e-1c334ae118e4">Re: Can my bridal shower be this early?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry...I should have added that when I graduate in April, I was planning on having a graduation party. Since my wedding is going to be small, most of the people who would be invited to the wedding are also going to be invited to my grad party (close friends and family). We did want to have the shower in March during my Spring break, but my mom said it looks greedy if people are asked to buy presents three months in a row (March-shower, April-graduation, May-wedding). So my bridesmaids are planning the bachelorette party during spring break instead. So, now what should I do?
    Posted by adgirl15[/QUOTE]

If you're asking them to buy presents, the timing of it doesn't much matter.  It's common for the shower to be close to the wedding, so that really isn't an issue.  Perhaps your family can spread by word of mouth that you don't want presents at the graduation party.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    alliesonoalliesono member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also having a bridal shower in December before my wedding in May. I'm currently living and going to grad school about 800 miles from my hometown, where my wedding will be held, and also where my bridesmaid lives who is hosting the shower. December is the only time I'll be in the area until immediately before my wedding. Since my bridesmaid wanted to host the shower in my (and her) hometown, we really had no other option.

Since you should only invite the women closest to you to your bridal shower, I'm sure they're already aware that you're attending college in a different location from where the wedding will be. I don't think under these circumstances it is weird at all.

*edited to clarify*
  • Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My shower was 3 1/2 months before the wedding. I live in a different state than my bridesmaids, so my MOH simply decided to host it on a weekend when I was going to be in the town they all live in. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have the shower a bit earlier than is "traditional" when schedules, etc. conflict.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My shower is next week and my wedding isn't until November.  Many of my weekends in the fall are booked with fittings, other parties and some school related functions.  Plus, for my guests who are traveling to both the wedding and the shower, my mom and bridal party wanted to spread the travel out for them (a few guests are flying up from down south for my shower)

That being said, I don't think December is too early, but, like one of the previous posts said, it is during the holiday season.  How long are you home from break?  Perhaps you could do it in early January so it is a little bit after the holidays?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will probably get flamed for this, but where I'm from you don't have parties when you graduate from college/grad school.  My parents threw me a big shindig when I graduated from high school complete with gifts, etc.
     I got a few congrats cards when I got my bachelors and then my masters, but there was no formal acknowledgement of the degree (no party). If you already had a grad party for one graduation, I think its a little greedy to have another one.  If you haven't, then ignore my rant.

I feel like the point of a graduation gift is to celebrate your successes and help get you started in lthe next chapter of your life.. which is also the point of a wedding present.  Throwing a wedding shower 5 months before your graduation party to me is telling to give you gifts for pretty much the same purpose... twice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards