Pre-wedding Parties

Shower hosted by possibly not-invited people...?

The wedding is scheduled for July 2011 and while at work today, one of my co-workers let it slip that they can't wait to throw me a bridal shower here at work.  Once the cat was out of the bag... she then elaborated on some planning that has already taken place and how so many people were looking forward to it.

That being said... we are not inviting everybody under the sun ... and we already have co-workers on our "maybe" list of guests depending on how many relatives we intend to invite...

Does this happen often?? Is it normal for non-wedding guests to take part in (whether it be planning or attending) bridal showers??

Re: Shower hosted by possibly not-invited people...?

• scpalmtree06scpalmtree06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think showers involving coworkers and church members are the exception to the rule about "shower invitees must be invited to the wedding."  I could be wrong though.  I'm sure someone will come along to correct me if I am.
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as the shower is planned at work for just work people it's fine.  Any regular showers you have, all the guests must be invited to the wedding.
    Married 10/2/10
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Churches in my area do this as well, and a workplace has a similar idea with it as well.

Also, if someone chooses to throw you a shower without you inviting them, you're not obligated to invite them because they chose to throw (or attend) a shower that you were not involved in the planning of.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_shower-hosted-possibly-not-invited-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:322ca7f2-9d15-4d35-86cd-5128fa3b2a90Post:ee1d3aec-5bbf-4210-9a18-7738b63c37e1">Re: Shower hosted by possibly not-invited people...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As long as the shower is planned at work for just work people it's fine.  Any regular showers you have, all the guests must be invited to the wedding.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.. if ladies at church or at work would like to throw you a shower for just church ladies or work ladies held at church or work then that's fine. I've seen this happen numerous times. But these same ladies should not be invited to the regular shower unless they are also invited to the wedding.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  Work and/or church showers are the exception to the rule.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Lots of workplaces do wedding/baby showers and the staff don't expect invites to any other events. 

This gives them a chance to celebrate your big day with you AND get out of doing work for an afternoon. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a teacher and our "Sunshine" club always throws showers for brides, mothers-to-be, etc. In no way are people expecting to be invited. This is just a way for them to congratulate you and get a gift if they want to. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards