Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridal Shower/ Registry Question..

Ok Ladies... I am totally confused on this issue, and hope that you can help me out...

My FI and I are from Dallas and Houston, as are our familes and most friends, taken that we grew up there... We moved to a small town to go to school, and now we live permantly here... Okay... We have decided to register at two small stores here in town for our friends here, and co-workers, etc... Also to register at WalMart, Kohl's, and maybe Macys... Dilemma one... I know that everyone says that its "gift grabby" to register at more than 3 stores... but what about the convience for all of the different places where we live/are from??? (I figured that when people asked we would just be able to tell them based on where they live... The 2 small town stores, and Walmart for the small town guests/friends... and the bigger stores, Kohl's and Macy's from the Dallas/Houston family and friends...) Is this a wrong approach to this?

Also I have no idea yet who will be throwing me a shower, or if I'm even getting one... But from some married friends... they've said that all your gifts are usually given at the Bridal Shower... Well... Dilemma two... Is this true? Do you only give gifts at the Bridal Shower, or do people still bring gifts to the wedding... We are having our wedding in our small town, so mostly everyone is going to be an OOT guest... I don't know if I will have a shower in Dallas or Houston, or even here... So I don't want to register for all of this stuff, and take into account everyone from everywhere, if they are only given at the Bridal Shower...  I hope that this makes sense... Thanks in advance ladies!!!

Everyday is a miracle. Anniversary

Re: Bridal Shower/ Registry Question..

• Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    There are Wal-Marts in Dallas and Houston. Many people can also order off the internet. I would use one of the smaller town store, a Wal-Mart, and Kohls or Macy's. But not both small town stores and not Macys AND Kohls. That will give you three.

One store (Wal-Mart) that is accesible to everyone, one store that is accessible to the small town guests, and one store that is accessible to the people over in Texas (Macy's or Kohls).The people in the small town can also access the Macys and the Kohls through the internet.

As far as who gives what kind of gifts where, it really depends on the group of people. In my circle, gifts are gievn at showers and cash/checks are given at the wedding. To be safe, don't overthink this. Register at three places and even if you don't get a shower, you can use the cash and checks gifts you get to buy what you need. Some of those stores, like Macy's, sometimes give discounts on items not bought from a registry. So definitely check that out. GL! :)
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First of all, you're in the south, so I'll suggest this:
    Are you talking about a Bridal Shower or a Wedding Shower?
    Where I am, those two things are very very different.

A Bridal Shower is focused on the bride.  What happens at the shower is for the bride, and the gifts are for the bride - like a desk set for her new home office, or an organizer for her car trunk, or perfume, or a sweater, etc.

A Wedding Shower is focused on starting up the shared home, and most of the gifts come off the registries.

Next, I have never heard of this idea that people bring physical gifts to the shower and send a wedding card with a check for wedding gifts.  That just does not happen in the region of the country where I live.  Here, people do bring physical gifts to the shower, and then they pick a big gift off of the registry and have it sent to the bride's parents' home prior to the wedding.

And finally, I would not suggest that you register at Walmart and Kohls.  These are discount stores not normally stocked with high quality wedding-style gifts.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-registry-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:47c290e1-91b5-40f5-b3b4-1bf163f657a5Post:78bd758a-c696-4817-b523-b85399ed3d43">Re: Bridal Shower/ Registry Question..</a>:
    [QUOTE]First of all, you're in the south, so I'll suggest this: Are you talking about a Bridal Shower or a Wedding Shower? Where I am, those two things are very very different. A Bridal Shower is focused on the bride.  What happens at the shower is for the bride, and the gifts are for the bride - like a desk set for her new home office, or an organizer for her car trunk, or perfume, or a sweater, etc. A Wedding Shower is focused on starting up the shared home, and most of the gifts come off the registries. Next, I have never heard of this idea that people bring physical gifts to the shower and send a wedding card with a check for wedding gifts.  That just does not happen in the region of the country where I live.  Here, people do bring physical gifts to the shower, and then they pick a big gift off of the registry and have it sent to the bride's parents' home prior to the wedding.<strong> And finally, I would not suggest that you register at Walmart </strong>and Kohls.  These are discount stores not normally stocked with high quality wedding-style gifts.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Ditto 100000000% Please don't register at Walmart.. a lot of people refuse to shop there for various reasons. I understand they're everywhere but so is Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, JC Penney, Sears, Macys, Kohls, etc... Walmart's stuff isn't good quality and the gifts won't last as long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards