Pre-wedding Parties

Okay not to wear white for Rehersal Dinner?

I'm having trouble finding anything I like in a cute simi-formal white dress that I might be able to ever wear again. Mainly because I don't like white. My wedding dress would be a color if my fiance wasn't such a tradionalist.

I've tried looking for mainly white with a bit of pattern to the dress, but I'm just so simple that a pattern seems to wear me. The groom has "vetoed" every cute black dress I've found. 

Should I give up on white and find something I can wear again that I love or find a white dress?

Thanks for responding.

Re: Okay not to wear white for Rehersal Dinner?

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I know plenty of brides that don't wear white to their RD, I don't plan on it.  I'd go with finding the dress you love.  Nor would my FI have veto power over my outfit but hand in hand with that he wouldn't tell me I couldn't wear a specific dress anywhere.  That's us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're overthinking this.  A rehearsal isn't a "dress rehearsal".  You don't have to wear white to the rehearsal.  Wear a dress you like.  It's not a big deal.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely not required.  At all.
  • edited December 2011
    There's no rule saying you have to wear white to the RD. You don't even have to buy something new. If you have a dress that you like, wear that.

• edited December 2011
    Of course it's ok!  Get something you like and feel good in.  What do you mean your FI has vetoed all the black options?  Does he feel that strongly?
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Feature_Assortment/catalogjcrewcomexclusives/dresses/PRDOVR~24356/99101976295/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~0~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~lorelei/24356.jsp

I don't think you have to wear white for the rehearsal dinner, but if you want to, this is a dress I bought for my bachelorette... the idea is that the girls wear lbds and I wear white.  It's very cute and pretty, but on the casual side too. I Iove it, but if you choose to buy it, be careful, it runs big.  I'm normally like an 8, I bought a 6 and had to return it for a 4! 
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    edited December 2011
    I just wore a dress I owned because I couldn't find a cute white dress.  I think mine was pink and orange.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, you definitely don't have to wear white.  I wanted to wear "white" for my shower but white looks terrible on me b/c of my complexion.  My wedding gown is ivory, but I was finding it actually really hard to find ivory dresses, instead of white.  Then I found this website, mod cloth,  with a TON of cute dresses in a bunch of colors, prints, solids, styles. BTW, i bought a pretty bright blue dress for my shower instead, but did order an ivory dress for the rehersal dinner.

If you definitely want something new check out www.modcloth.com.  I saw it randomly on a facebook ad and already ordered 2 dresses! They haven't come yet so I can't speak on sizing but I'm really excited and there are SO many choices on this site!  Their accessories look wicked cute too! :)
    photo c5dc5e88-48f8-44ab-b391-57c945a2a7c9_zps31846873.jpg

Abigail and Emily born at 38w5d
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    "Two Babies, Two Boobies" - That's how I roll.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you. I decided on a cute Yellow and Grey dress. Our rehersal dinner is simi-formal so it has to be something fairly nice. My fiance just doesn't think I should go with my normal look..I own maybe 20 black dresses.

I'm sure I was just over thinking it, I tend to do that a lot.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_okay-not-wear-white-rehersal-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:51577a70-1683-4444-8f8d-45e4dce3444aPost:2a00f548-d5ef-4b2c-8858-0d68efbe7903">Okay not to wear white for Rehersal Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having trouble finding anything I like in a cute simi-formal white dress that I might be able to ever wear again. Mainly because I don't like white. <strong>My wedding dress would be a color if my fiance wasn't such a tradionalist. </strong>I've tried looking for mainly white with a bit of pattern to the dress, but I'm just so simple that a pattern seems to wear me. <strong>The groom has "vetoed" every cute black dress I've found. </strong> Should I give up on white and find something I can wear again that I love or find a white dress? Thanks for responding.
    Posted by CharacterFan[/QUOTE]

These two bolded statements actually concern me.  Why does your FI have so much control over what you wear?  I think it's great to keep his ideas in the back of your mind when you're shopping, but I have to say, if I wanted a colored wedding dress, I'd be getting it.

If I wanted to wear a black dress to the rehearsal, I'd be wearing it.  I don't think what you wear to a party is really his call.

sorry
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Trix.  I was trying to point that out earlier.  Seems odd that FI would "veto" something you were wearing. 
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore a dark brown dress with a pink sash to my RD. I never even thought about wearing white since I already wore white to my bridal shower and didn't want to over due it. Plus, DH never saw the dress until the RD so he never would have "vetoed" it. DH normally thinks everything looks great anyway. I'm surprised your FI would have such strong opinions on what I'm sure is a nice dress.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is surpised people are so conserned that he vetoed a dress that he told me that the reason he "vetoed" is because of his mother. He knew that if I wore black I'd hear  "that doesn't look very bridal" and since he knows I'll be on my last stand with her comments on the wedding by then he was just trying to avoid more stress on me. 

If only he had told me before.

• its2late05its2late05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We only read what you write. So it's concerning to other brides to see that your FI has such 'control' over what color you wear. We didn't know it was for your mother in law. Also, I'd never let my mother in law, or my FI tell me what I can and cannot wear to my RD, or in general. Wear what you want, you're going to remember what you wore, and if you don't like it or are not comfortable in it, you're going to remember that, not how special the night was. Who cares if black isn't very bridal? It's not the wedding, so whatever! Do what makes YOU happy not your MIL.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had a really pretty prom dress that's been sitting in my closet for years. It's just a simple floor length white halter dress with red flower embroidery on it. I spent like $250 on it back in the day, so I'm having a seamstress alter it so it's shorter and I'm wearing that to my rehearsal dinner.
  • UAallison83UAallison83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dunno if this matters anymore, but just in case there are other brides out there looking, check out Davids Bridal Party dresses.  Even if you want color and not white, there are a ton of selections at reasonable prices.  I've bought several party dresses and have been eyeing this one:

Check it out because they are usually having sales, and I know I get a million coupons and emails from them a week.  Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards