Pre-wedding Parties
Options

No Rehearsal Dinner

We are having a destination wedding (kindof) on Mackinac Island in Michigan in October. We are living down in Georgia now, and most guests are coming from about 7-8 hours drive away - 70ish people total. Since everyone has to travel so far to get to the wedding, instead of having the rehearsal dinner for just close fam and wedding party, we are having a bonfire with smores, hot chocolate and cider for ALL of the guests invited to the wedding since they'll all be there the night before.

I'm worried bridal party will be miffed not having a rehearsal dinner because of "traditon". Is it required to have one?

Re: No Rehearsal Dinner

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you having any kind of a meal for those who have to be at the rehearsal?  I love the bonfire idea.  I just wonder what provisions are being made for some "real" food before the yummy s'mores and cocoa.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yummmmmmm the bonfire with smores and cocoa sounds really good, but I agree with Trix.. is there going to be some sort of a meal for your families and bridal party before the bonfire? Even if you just have something casual before the bonfire, I would try and make sure everyone has had dinner. After traveling and having a long day, dinner is definitely a need for most people. Plus all those sweets at the bonfire may not sit well on everyone's stomachs if they haven't had a meal beforehand.

Also, a RD isn't necessarily required, but it helps the next day run much more smoothly if everyone involved in the ceremony has done a dry run-through of how things will go. Afterwards, the hosts of the RD normally provide some sort of a meal whether it be at a restaurant or in someone's backyard or a BBQ of some sort. HTH!
  • Options
    elizabethm4elizabethm4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, maybe you could do burgers and hot dogs or something? I think a little cook out and then the bonfire sounds really fun
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're having a rehearsal then you need to feed the people who are at the rehearsal (Plus their spouses).

Why not have the RD and then a bonfire for all other guests.  You don't need to have a RD with all the OOT ones.
  • Options
    marisah83marisah83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not having a rehearsal dinner, but we are having a picnic/bbq thing the day before for everyone that has already arrived. 
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards