Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement parties?

I am trying to find out what the criteria is for having an engagement party...

We are getting married in March of 2011 and I have quite a few "older" friends of mine asking about if we are going to throw an engagement party. None of my friends have ever had one of these before, so I am wondering if it is still really something that people do. I mean no offense to anyone but I feel like we are just begging for more gifts and calling attention to ourselves by having one.

Thoughts please!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Engagement parties?

• forrma7forrma7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    traditionally, etiquette says that you never throw your own engagement party, because that would be like throwing a party in honor of yourself, which is strange.

typically, familiy members, parents, close friends...they will ask you to throw a party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never been to one or known anybody who has had one IRL but in some circles they are common.  It also depends on the circle whether they are considered gift-giving events or not.  If you don't want to have one, just don't.
    Married 10/2/10
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm on the "I don't know anyone who has actually had an e-party" train also.  And I agree~I don't think they're necessary at all and IMO are AW-ish.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have one, it's thrown for you but not by you (as it's in poor taste to throw any party for yourself).

Based on what you said, if someone offers to throw a get together it could be fun, but don't worry about it.
  • edited December 2011
    we're having one sunday. my mom is throwing it. its more of a His family is meeting my family. ours is very informal. Bbq and flip flops lol
    Anniversary
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If someone offers to throw you one I wouldn't turn it down. We had one about 14 months before the wedding and we loved it. It was great for our families to meet and to see all of our close friends and family in one place before all the crazy wedding planning began. It was definitely not AW'ish and people are never obligated to bring gifts to an engagement party.
  • edited December 2011
    My parents hosted an "engagment dinner" for us earlier this month. They booked the party room at a local Italian restaurant and most people ended up coming back to my parents house to go in the pool or hang out afterward.

It was really just a chance for both of our families to meet and get to know each other better. It was really nice to see everyone and get to talk with them. It can be so hectic during the pre-wedding and wedding events, this was great to spend some time with the families without there being tons of friends, co-workers, etc.

If no one offered to host a party, you could probably arrange a casual dinner or bbq for your families to meet each other. I just wouldn't call it an engagement party, because that would look like you just wanted gifts.
  • laure143cmmlaure143cmm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_engagement-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:770474cd-f529-46d0-9a09-398f7651bcfePost:71771f98-09e0-48d6-8ac7-62cdd25cbefd">Re: Engagement parties?</a>:
    [QUOTE]we're having one sunday. my mom is throwing it. its more of a His family is meeting my family. ours is very informal. Bbq and flip flops lol
    Posted by karmellah[/QUOTE]

FMIL is hosting ours next month and we are also have a BBQ. Its like the same as everyone else, we just want the families to meet and celebrate the happy occasion. We are def not looking for gifts.
  • tsp698tsp698 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had heard of Engagement parties, but I have personally never been to one.When we got engaged one of our mutual friends offered to throw one for us. Its a great way for our families to meet each other, and our wedding parties to get better acquainted.

If it had not been offered to us we probably would have invited our families to a dinner so they could meet and get to know each other, but that would be it.

image 107 Invited
    image 43 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image58 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: July 23
  • edited December 2011
    We are planning on having one, which my mother offered to throw. I was feeling really uncomfortable about it looking like we just wanted more gifts too so in the invitations we plan to put something along the lines of NO GIFTS PLEASE lol. My sister is coming in from Afghanistan and my grandparents will be coming in from out of state to visit. It's really the only time my whole family will be in one place at the same time and I really don't want there to be this awkwardness at the reception because nobody really knows anyone else. Like everyone else I think, if it's still early in your engagement and your families aren't familiar with each other, there really isn't a better way to introduce them than to have a fun laid back party.
  • edited December 2011
    My mother and stepmother are throwing one for us next week.
    We had one for my brother before he got married, too.
    It will be chill: in my dad/stepmom's backyard, and it's a daytime affair to keep the formality down.
    Also, I threw a surprise-pseudo-engagement party for my friend with a particular subset of her friends just to celebrate them.

Gifts are optional at engagement parties.

If someone offers, say yes...and enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards