Pre-wedding Parties

Big problem

My fiances parents and my parents have yet to meet. We both live in different cities. The solution, I thought would be to throw an engagement party and bring the families together. My mom and I talked about this and asked what i was thinking, as he has an immediate family of 8 and I have a family of 4. She replied with "I dont need to meet his brothers and sisters". HELP! What do I tell her to let her know this bothers both him and I? 

Re: Big problem

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Mom, you're going to need to meet them at some point.  They'll be at the wedding and they'll be at every family event that we host after the wedding.  I understand if you would rather not host something so instead FI and I will host a meet and greet so all of you can get to know one another."
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_big-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:de394e35-516a-4903-bacc-09ed06f931abPost:0c8140bf-76be-41bf-86e1-a02cabbf68d2">Re: Big problem</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Mom, you're going to need to meet them at some point.  They'll be at the wedding and they'll be at every family event that we host after the wedding.  I understand if you would rather not host something so instead FI and I will host a meet and greet so all of you can get to know one another."
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

This. Throw a meet and greet, not an engagement party because you cannot host an engagement party for yourself. Keep it low-key.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks guys I think you're right. She's also shy, so I think that if she meets the parents first, we can invite the sisters to the bridal shower and go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards