Pre-wedding Parties

How far would you travel?

A while back one of my bridesmaids asked me if I was willing to travel for my bridal shower.  I said "no" because I have 2 kids, and I'm not going to fly to the other end of the country just for a bridal party (she was thinking Vegas).  That just got me thinking, how many people would fly out of state just for a bridal shower/bachlorette party?

Re: How far would you travel?

• Swiftsong8Swiftsong8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't fly anywhere for my shower. With 3 kids and working full time and planning a wedding...no way jose. I would drive an hour or two if I had to. But I would not fly!!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am flying out of state for my bridal shower, but then I'm also flying out of state for my wedding.  We chose the wedding location because it was most convenient for our famlies, which also makes it the most convenient location for the shower.  I wasn't going to have a shower, but my mom insisted that my aunt would be upset and blah blah so I gave in.

I would never fly to a random location like Vegas for a pre-wedding party.
    Married 10/2/10
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

One of my friends wants to throw one in DC, its where she is and we have other friends there.  I will do it, because she was so excited about it and it means a lot to her.  Its a bit silly, and I'm not sure about some logistics, but it best for everyone else. 

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would not travel farther than I could comfortably drive in 90 minutes or less.  Destination showers, b-parties are, IMO way over the top.  I know people do them, but nms at all.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't travel more than an hour or two for a bridal shower. I've only ever been to destination b-parties, so flying or driving for a whole day for those is normal to me.
  • edited December 2011
    For attending a shower: Nowhere I couldn't do for a comfortable weekend trip w/o taking time off from work.  So maybe 4-5 hour drive.  (I have driven 4 hours for one shower, and 3 for another).

For my shower, I am taking a 3 hour flight to be with my family. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If whoever was planning the shower could explain to my boss that I needed to take off work for a bachelorette party in Vegas, then sure. haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would travel if it was a 3 hour flight or a 3 to 4 hour drive away. I also like to travel so it would be a fun adventure for me.

If I had a kid I most likely wouldn't fly to a shower. I could see myself driving though. Texas is so big and it takes forever just to get to the other side of the city. So taking on a couple extra hours isn't that bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I am travelling for a bridal shower...but I am also getting married there, and thats where all of my family is.  I wouldnt go to a random place for a shower. 
    I updated my bio on 06/24/10, however if you want to see my planning bio you have to go to www.lizardlipsplanningbio.weebly.com because I am having a hard time making it clicky!
  • mhickey426mhickey426 member
    edited December 2011
    I would never travel for my shower thats silly, for someone else only I would only drive an hour to two but only if i was really close to the bride.  I would defnitly travel for a bachelorette party.  We are driving 3 hours for mine to AC. I would have flown somewhere but thats too much money to ask of people.
    Anniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers image due, March 15
  • talpins101511talpins101511 member
    edited December 2011
    I would travel within driving distance, but that's it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jaclyndohertyjaclyndoherty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in CA. I flew to my hometown in MA for a weekend trip for a wedding shower my mom threw us (also an excuse for a visit home). I am also flying to Vegas for my bachelorette party with my girlfriends. AND we are also having a destination wedding in the Carribean so we are flying for our wedding as well. I guess I dont mind since I dont have a mortgage or children.
  • careconleycareconley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No way, unless they're paying. I don't have the money to fly out for just a shower.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I live in Seattle but our family is in michigan and chicago.  I will most likely be flying to michigan for one shower and chicago for another shower.  Hoping to at least coordinate my bach. party with the michigan shower!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards