Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Types of Bridal Showers?????

One of my mom's good friends offered to throw me a bridal shower-yea.  She has asked my mom what type of bridal shower I want to have.  I didn't even know that there were different types out there.  My mom mentioned something about a lingerie party and a kitchen party.  I feel clueless in this area.  Can someone help fill me in and possibly make suggestions as to the benefit of each? 

Also I saw a quiz here on the knot asking how many bridal showers the bride is having.  Is it common to have more than one??  I am having at least two only because my coworkers have a tradition of throwing every possible type of shower there is (I am a teacher-we love our parties).  Lastly, is there supposed to be a shower thrown from my side of the family and then a separate shower thrown from my fiance's side of the family?

Thanks in advance,
dazed and confused

Re: Types of Bridal Showers?????

• Options
    ErinC85ErinC85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm no expert, but I don't think you HAVE to have any shower, much less a requisite shower from each family. Its just any person/people gracious enough to have a party in your honor-the only requirement as far as I can think of. A family member is having a shower for us (couples shower?) with close family and friends, and a friend is having one with just my girlfriends. 
    I was just as confused as you when the family member was asking what type I wanted and started rattling off a list of things. I just said I had a preference for any theme that strayed away from getting bedroom or lingerie items. Just because I'm not comfortable opening those types of gifts in front of people. I'd be bright red! So, thats something to consider. 
    HTH
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I only had one shower.  It was thrown by my BMs and they invited women from my side of the family and my H's side of the family, and my closest friends.  I gave them the list of who to invite based on who was invited to my wedding.  I just had a regular shower, no real theme, people just bought gifts off our wedding registry.

I have head of lingerie showers, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that if my Mom and FI's Mom and grandmas and aunts and stuff would all be there.  I just don't think it's appropriate.  A kitchen shower is nice, but I don't really like telling guests what they have to buy.  I think it's best to just have a  nice general shower with food and cake and let the guests buy whatever they want for you either off your registry or a gift of their choice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JenJo26JenJo26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for your responses.  I had never thought about the possible embarassment of opening up certain gifts in front of my mom or FH's mom.  I also like the idea of not forcing them to buy me something specific.  I am usually a very grounded girl, but this question threw me for a loop.  Thanks for the reminder that these things don't have to get crazy out of hand!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were thrown 3 showers.  One from my work, one from my bridesmaids, and one from my mom and aunt.  The work shower was just for the people I work with (I work in State government so our office is big).  The bridesmaids threw a Stock the Bar party - we invited close friends and family (the ones you don't mind drinking around).  My mom and aunt are throwing a more traditional bridal shower at a tea house.  It's for the older relatives and the family I wouldn't normally just chill and hang out with.

I've also heard about Lawn and Garden parties.  You can make them co-ed if you like.  You can register for Lowe's or Home Depot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I liked the idea of a wedding shower for all female family and friends. Then a personal shower to kick off the bachelorette. That way you don't get anything too embarrassing in front of family members that you wouldn't want like your grandma.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards