Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

NWR: Anyone been to Corpus Christi?

Ben and I are trying to figure out where to go for a few days on our vacation.  We were planning on Destin but that looks to be out now.  We thought about tubing in New Braunfels but I really want a beach.  I've taken my daughter to South Padre for years, but he's not excited about it.  I don't want to go to Galveston.  So that pretty much leaves Corpus, as it would be close and cheap.  Any thoughts or other suggestions? 

Re: NWR: Anyone been to Corpus Christi?

• Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to Mustang Island / Port Aransas several times and always enjoyed it. It's not the prettiest beach, but it'll do. And it's close enough to Corpus that you can drive over for dinner or sightseeing. They have a nice aquarium, and the USS Lexington is really interesting.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, but I should add that I haven't been since my senior year of high school (ten years), so things might have changed a bit :)
  • Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to live there....years ago though so I can't confirm what its like anymore :(

Have you tried the atlantic side of Florida? Daytona Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami?
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chelsea we want to be able to drive it in a day.  I tried to get him to go to Amelia Island on the other side of the FL panhandle--there's a Ritz Carlton there.  But it's 17 hours so he said no!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-anyone-corpus-christi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:79cb87a0-6caa-4065-866b-f9d475811c4fPost:0c6a3c3c-f41a-4cc7-92c1-e1403d5a4cc3">Re: NWR: Anyone been to Corpus Christi?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been to Mustang Island / Port Aransas several times and always enjoyed it. It's not the prettiest beach, but it'll do. And it's close enough to Corpus that you can drive over for dinner or sightseeing. <strong><u>They have a nice aquarium, and the USS Lexington is really interesting.
    </u></strong>Posted by BanannaP[/QUOTE]

I went last labor day.  The aquarium and Lexington are still very interesting. 
  • Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well Crystal Beach and South Padre? Would be the other two driveable places I can think of that are beachy.

Im sure Corpus is great :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Corpus. I would recommend Port Aransas over Mustang Island. The Lex and Aquarium are nice, but note that they are not that close to the islands.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you ever thought of Caddo Lake. It's about 3 hours east of here.  It's not a beach but its huge lake and its like nothing you've ever seen.
  • Options
    jsauer74jsauer74 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd have to say Port Aransas as well. We normally drive down there twice a year and always enjoy it. We usually stay at the SandCastle Condos (very affordable) and can walk to most anywhere we want to get to on the island.
    Jen Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone.  We decided last night on New Braunfels because it was what my daughter was most excited about--1 day at Schlitterbahn and 1 day tubing down the river! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards