Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Bridal shops

Me and my mom are gonna try and go to a few bridal shops on Friday,weather permitting, so I can try on dresses. I know they say to wear proper undergarmets such as strapless bras and such, but what about shoes? Should I wear heels or am I completely overthinking it?

Also, should I make appts at a couple of places or try walk-ins? I'm not sure how much time to allot at each place and would hate to be late to an appt.

TIA for helping me with these crazy questions.

Re: Bridal shops

• Options
    bethlovesjimbethlovesjim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my best experiences at the places I made appointments. 
    And I was barefoot in all of the dresses I tried on.

I'm going to recommend Mockingbird Bridal.  They get super busy on the weekend days, so a Friday would be perfect.  But I really liked the ladies there the best.  Maggie was my consultant, and Amber was great too.

Have fun!
    first camping trip engagement
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lesalyriclesalyric member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore shoes that were the height I thought I wanted my wedding shoes to be. Mainly so I could get an idea of what it would all look like together. Honestly though, it's whatever you want to do. I ended up buying the dress I tried on with no shoes whatsoever.

Regarding appointments, some places require them before you can try on dresses and some places make you wait for a no-show to try on dresses, which can take awhile.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely not worry about shoes. You'll more than likely have to get your dress altered anyway, and once you buy it, you can take your dress and the shoes you want to wear on your wedding day to your alterations appointment. 

I would make an appointment, you tend to get better service. I recommend Lewisville Bridal Boutique. I do not recommend David's Bridal.

Since it's your first time, I would leave about 2 hours at least in each store-maybe more depending on how serious you are about finding a dress on Friday. If you're just browsing for ideas, maybe not that long. 

Also, I suggest keeping your options open and not having your heart set on finding "the dress" on your first day.

Good luck, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Like Natalie said, I wouldn't worry about shoes.

I would also make appointments in a 2 hour or so window.   I wouldn't expect them to be too busy on a Friday so just take the list of appointments/shop phone #'s and if you are running late or early you can call and adjust.

Have fun and good luck!

• Options
    angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Bridal Co. in Denton... they're really sweet and helpful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second Lewisville Bridal Boutique, they have TONS of dresses. Ocones, Pence and Panache and Bliss are some other good stores. As for shoes, it would probably be your best bet to wear some the same height as what you plan on wearing on your wedding day but I don't think it will really make that much of a difference.

Have fun and good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
    "The things I've done, the places I've been, just don't compare to the love I'm in, it beats all I've ever seen."
  • Options
    carmen9311carmen9311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i third lewisville bridal. i ended up getting the dress i loved (i saw it other stores but it was too much) for 50% off. they have a lot there and will show you different options (i.e., sashes, jewelry, etc) but most stores will do this.

i worked with melissa and she was awesome. have fun! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_bridal-shops-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:7f6d4145-9eec-4736-b9fa-c39208ed4e4dPost:8dcfe846-dc0c-4720-916e-6f6ae1d59af7">Re: Bridal shops</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would definitely not worry about shoes. You'll more than likely have to get your dress altered anyway, and once you buy it, you can take your dress and the shoes you want to wear on your wedding day to your alterations appointment.  I would make an appointment, you tend to get better service. I recommend Lewisville Bridal Boutique. I do not recommend David's Bridal. Since it's your first time, I would leave about 2 hours at least in each store-maybe more depending on how serious you are about finding a dress on Friday. If you're just browsing for ideas, maybe not that long.  Also, I suggest keeping your options open and not having your heart set on finding "the dress" on your first day. Good luck, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!! :)
    Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]

Natalie said it very well
  • Options
    sarathirzasarathirza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved my experience at Circle Park Bridal - ask for Andrea (she's the owner).  Also, i wore heels that were about the height/a little higher than heels I expected to wear on my wedding day.  I'm about 5'10" though, so I wanted to make sure any dress I bought would be long enough for heels (I didn't want to have to pay extra to get a longer length). 

Also, the best advice I was given was to bring water and snacks (granola bars, almonds, etc) - it can be surprisingly exhausting trying on all those gowns! 
  • Options
    btweety04btweety04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for all of your advice! Since this is my first try at dresses I am not necessarily looking to buy the dress then, but more so get out there and see what I like so I can shop around. Although, since my wedding is in Sept, I really do need to find a dress soon. I was thinking about trying out Mockingbird Bridal and Circle Park Bridal.
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVED Bliss. I'm not 100% happy with the place that I purchased my dress so I'm not going to suggest you go there.

I really enjoyed a store in Cedar Hill called Distinct Elegance that I enjoyed going to.

I would suggest making appointments.
  • Options
    bethlovesjimbethlovesjim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_bridal-shops-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:7f6d4145-9eec-4736-b9fa-c39208ed4e4dPost:95740494-c708-4728-8ccc-84cc1f01b8ad">Re: Bridal shops</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies for all of your advice! Since this is my first try at dresses I am not necessarily looking to buy the dress then, but more so get out there and see what I like so I can shop around. Although, since my wedding is in Sept, I really do need to find a dress soon. I was thinking about trying out Mockingbird Bridal and Circle Park Bridal.
    Posted by btweety04[/QUOTE]

I ordered a Maggie Sotterro dress from Mockingbird, and was told 4 months minimum.
    I tried on gowns at Circle Park too.  They are very trendy and modern (their service, dress styles, and even the store decor).  It wasn't the place for me, but I've heard a lot of girls were very happy with their experience and dress.
    first camping trip engagement
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I enjoyed Circle Park Bridal and Bridal Blossom.  I love Bridal Blossom because they allow cameras and the owner is also the seamstress.  I am having her add some flowers to my dress.  You should really give her a try.

http://www.abridalblossom.com/
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally second a bridal blossom!

She is making a custom bridal belt for me! Nancy is SOOOOOO nice :) I do not have one bad thing to say about that store at all. She is fantastic!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I loved Lasting Bridal Couture in Addison off of Inwood. Ask for Sarah if she's available, she helped me & she's really nice! She even remembered me when I saw her at the bridal show last weekend even though I haven't seen her since I picked up my dress months ago! I didn't have an appointment and we went on a weekday so they were very accommodating. I know they are busy on Saturdays though.
    I wouldn't worry about shoes. Just have them to take to your fitting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The botique I ordered my dress from *crosses fingers for any day now I'll get "the call" about my dress* does appointments only. It's small and they also allow a guest max per bride. IMO thats AWESOME cus if you go with a bunch of people you will get overwhelmed and confused.

It's in Hurst, so IDK how far out you want to drive and all. Terry Costa does walkins. I walked in to try on a dress and there was no problem what so ever with it. That's in Dallas off of 635 and Preston.

Off topic, but I keep getting emails about Bliss and they are annoying. I've signed up on their do not email me list and they still send them. Does anyone know how to make them stop?  I've never even stepped foot in their store. I've never called them or anything....how do they have my email to begin with?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried Providence Place in Rockwall? I got my dress there, and it was a custom order. The ladies in the shop are so nice to work with, and super helpful. They carry Casablanca, Mori Lee, and Maggie Sottero. I'd totally recommend them, they do everything the big stores do, but on a more personal level. The seamstress is also amazing, and super sweet. Here's their website, www.purelyprovidential.com . They're a great alternative to the busy Dallas shops!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards