Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Dress Issues: Need Advice

I am a bride on a budget.. like every one else.  My mother wants to pay for my dress which is great because we are paying for everything else. My problem is the dress that I love is at Davids Bridal for $800. My mom informed me that she will not spend more than $500 on my dress. I spoke to my sales woman at Davids and she told me that if I am waiting for a sale that my dress will never be on sale that low. Is $500 realistic for a plus size wedding dress? I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Re: Dress Issues: Need Advice

• Options
    MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there any way you could have your mom pay for $500 of it and then you cover the rest?  I had set my dress budget lower as well, but ended up going just above it because I tried on tons of dresses, and this really was the right one for me.  I had to adjust some things, but at least I got the dress I wanted.  It was one of the priority items on my list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with MissAngel, have you taken a look at your budget?  The $300 standing between you and your dream dress is too small of an amount to pass up.   Look and see if you can make some cuts on other items here and there to cover the difference.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    lesalyriclesalyric member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Depending upon the style of dress you want $500 can be done, but it will probably take some work.

Have you tried searching the preowned dress sites? Someone may be re-selling the exact dress you want in your price range. Google "pre-owned wedding dresses" and a bunch of sites will pop up.

When I was looking for plus sized dresses, the best prices I saw were at Bridal Dreams in Fort Worth. She had dresses for $399. The only catch was that you were buying the samples, which were in good shape, but would need some minor clean up to make them like new again (reattching sequins, dry cleaning, etc.)

I am sure other girls will chime in with Dallas area stores that have similar prices.

Good luck and HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I definitely think that if you agree to cover everything over $500 that you should get the dress you want.  I'd just make budget cuts elsewhere to get what I wanted -that's what we did to get our photographer.  Our photographer was thousands of dollars over what we initially said we wanted to spend, so I cut the budget on flowers and other things that I knew I could do without to make it work.

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, in regards to cutting somewhere else.  There were a few times that I pulled some money out of my monthly budget for our wedding.  I paid for my shoes, barrette/comb that went with my veil, and several other things out of my regular monthly money and ate PBJ's a couple of evenings during that month. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would look at other places. You would be surprised at what you can get for $500. Check the sale area at Lewisville Bridal and Circle Park in Addison. David's is not always the cheapest. If however you are not budging from David's, I would look at other areas of the total wedding budget and see where you can save.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies. I think I will be pulling money out of the budget to pay the remainder of the balance on the dress I love. I am going to check a few other bridal salons to see just in case. I did save some money on my accessories. Alfred Angelo had a huge sale on their accessories and I got a veil and tiara for $70. THat was a lot less than I thought it was going to be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DaVinci bridal has exact copies of lots of the David's Bridal dresses.  You can order DaVinci through eBridalSuperstore.com and it ends up being cheaper.  Sometimes the dresses are only like $50 or so less, but sometimes they are hundreds less.
    imageimage Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards