Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Vendor Recap

Just wanted to give the rundown on my wedding vendors for those in Dallas still searching...

We were married on April 9th and went for a casual vibe.  We originally intended to get married at White Rock Lake, but they were having their centennial celebration and canceled our reservation.  Ended up at Reverchon Park in the circular garden behind the rec center ($40).  Technically you can't rent the garden, but you can reserve another space and then just do what we did, show up and use the garden anyway.  Very Pretty. 

Reception was at the Dallas Center for Architecture, which is downtown on the corner of Woodall Rogers and St. Paul.  $500 for a four hour block, + $25/hour for a staff person = $600, but we reserved the location for pretty much the whole day to set up ourselves and the day cost us $800.  They were really easy to work with.  I highly recommend checking this place out if you are on a budget or are having a smaller reception (I think capacity is around 125 - we had 90 people).  Does not require that you use preferred vendors, just that your vendors have insurance.

Officiant: Randy Dickens with Love Notes.  He did a great job.  Ceremony was exactly the way we wanted it and he really worked to make sure everything was on time.  $295, but we didn't pay extra for a rehearsal with him, not sure what that would cost.

Photographer:  Sean Thomas.  (sean-thomas dot net if the link doesn't work).  I cannot say enough nice, complimentary things about his work.  Very professional and organized, but also has a really nice sense of fun.  Our pictures are AMAZING.  We didn't do the whole day package, just photos at the ceremony and reception, but I understand he does it all.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM.  HIGHLY!!!

Catering: Fuzzy Tacos.  We had a big taco party for 90 people - queso, salsa, chips, guacomole, shrimp, chicken, vegetarian or shredded beef tacos with rice and black beans and we paid extra for servers to work the buffet - total was about $1100.  And delicious.  Also - we showed up at the reception earlier than we anticipated and they busted ass to get things set up faster.

Dress: Nordstroms Wedding Department.  They have the best return policy.  I actually bought three dresses from them at different times because I ordered some online, didn't like them and returned.

Flowers: Sam's Club and Central Market

Cake:  Barbara's Cakes in Grand Prairie.  We had a strawberry wedding cake and chocolate groom's cake.  I'm not a cake person so I just put my husband in charge of this with the instructions that there be enough for 90 guests.  Cakes tasted good and were beautifully decorated.  Barbara is very friendly and had things done on time.

Hair - Avalon Salon in West Village.  Very quick, but I wore my hair down so not a hard task. $45

Table and chair rental (Chairs were for the garden at the ceremony, tables at reception site - which has plenty of chairs but not enough tables).  - TLC Events and they were two hours late on the delivery.  TWO HOURS.  They did apologize and refund the delivery fee, but it was a big deal.  And they forgot to pick the tables back up on Monday.  I got a call from the event space complaining.

DJ - friend, so this was free and he did a great job.   I have a monthly subscription music service, so we built the dinner and dancing playlists ourselves. 
First Dance: Hall & Oates, "You Make My Dreams"

Bartender - his name is Scotty something and he's TABC, very professional and did a great job.  Found him through a friend that used him for their wedding.  He was $100.

We hired a couple women to work the event and cleanup afterwards that we found through a friend that manages a restaurant.  Paid them each a $100 and they did a great job. 

Recap:
Highly recommend Sean-Thomas Photography, Fuzzy's Tacos if you are doing something casual and Dallas Center for Architecture (gallery type set up).  TLC for tables is fine, but you need to monitor them if you are time sensitive, etc. 

Re: Vendor Recap

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I love your first song!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! 

And one more - Alterations.  I used Han's Tailor in Carrollton (Addison Rd, south of Frankford).  SHe's a true seamstress genius and she works fast and cheap.  I think she might be crazy and she hated my dress, but did the work anyway.  I had to have it let out and then when I came in to try it on, it was way too big.  She said, "YOU LOST WEIGHT!" and I said, "I'm sorry!  Want me to eat cheesecake until the wedding?" and she said, "NO!!! DON'T do that!!" but then she laughed and took it in some.  and it was a rush order and she only charged $75.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you had a very nice wedding.  The few pictures I saw of y'all were very cute, love the setting for the ceremony.
  • Options
    dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds great! Thanks for the information!
  • Options
    Tia_ChicaTia_Chica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm happy to hear about some not so well know (to Knotties) vendors turning out great! I'm planning to use TLC though, I guess I'll have to stay on top of them! Undecided
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    sblavatsblavat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "We hired a couple women to work the event and cleanup afterwards that we found through a friend that manages a restaurant.  Paid them each a $100 and they did a great job."

Do you think these women would be willing to do this again?  We are having our reception at The Filter Building on White Rock Lake and it is a DIY venue in which we need to ensure that everything is cleaned up afterwards.  Our date is 3-31-12.  If you think they might be interested, can you email me their contact info?  Email is sblavat@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooh - I've been to a wedding at The Filter Building - such a pretty place!
    I've emailed them to see and will forward their contact info on to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is FANTASTIC.  Thank you for doing the leg-work and sharing!

I dig the Sam's Club floral arrangement idea... I could get into that.  Did you have them do your bouquet too?  Or centerpieces?  How much notice did they need?
    Be happy; it is a way of being wise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards