Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

NWR Poll: Wine

How about a Wednesday wine poll? :)

We have a few favorites, but all are $20 or more per bottle.  I'm looking for some good "every day" wines (and I'm notoriously bad at picking something that tastes awful)

What are your favorite wines (any variety) and what do you love about them?

Re: NWR Poll: Wine

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our favorites are:

Conundrum (White) - This is my newest delicious discovery.  It starts like a sweet white wine, with a dryer finish almost like a red wine (I'm not a sweet wine fan, AT ALL, but  I love it, a lot.  It is $20 per bottle at Costco and about $25 anywhere else.

La Crema or Iron Horse (Pinot Noir)  - Melt in your mouth deliciousness.  Both of them.  I don't really know what else to say.   These are also both around $25. 
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK - I was skeptical... VERY SKEPTICAL at first... but have you ever tried Oak Leaf Wine? It's only sold at Wal-Mart (I know, red flags... and I feel so silly for even recommending this).  It's actually really good and it's 2.97/bottle! I use it to make my homemade sangria, but it's good to just drink too.  It's won all kinds of taste tests as well, and was featured in the Dallas Morning News! 

I am by no means a wine-buff... I just tried it after hearing so much about it... and it's very decent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, I will have to try that!!

You remind me though, of a good cheaper wine I used to drink called Menage et Trois.  I used to get it at Walmart for $10.  Maybe I need to go back to Walmart and do some closer looking.  =)
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For every day wine I like Menage a Trois (red blend $8) or for a white, La Crema chardonnay ($16).  I also love Rosenblum Paso Robles ($20).

Our favorite wine is probably Rosenblum Maggie's Reserve red Zinfandel.  Every one we have ever tried has been delicious, nice and fruity.  For Shiraz, we like Two Hands.  There are so many we love--Ben is a big wine buff.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't tell you what I like about them because I'm not very knowledgable, just very picky and I seem to lean towards whites.

Leonard Keutsch (sp?) and Silver Lake- both are Rieislings. 

Red Headed Step Child-  I've only seen this at La Buena Vida Vineyards.

Villa M Moscato- stick a straw in it and I'm good.

Razorback Red from Hot Springs winery in Hot Springs, Arkansas- my favorite from there, probably my favorite red.  They have free tastings so definitely stop by there if you visit.  Oh and bring me back some!!  They only sale their wine in Arkansas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would recommend going into whole foods on Saturdays because they usually have 4-6 samples set up ranging from 7-20 per bottle of both whites and reds thats how I have ventured out and tried some.

FI's family doesnt drink so I dont have any on hand and cant remember the name but its always at whole foods and its 6.99 a bottle its a red and its from africa so it has a very odd name.  It is a very good red in my opinion and I plan on buying a case of it for the wedding

Odd but I also enjoy Olive gardens house brand (principato) of blush wine I dont remember how much it is but its good (it is sweet though so you may not like it)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There's a red wine they sell at Veritas called "Ass Kisser"(!!) that we really like and it's about $11/bottle. They also have a great vino verde, that's inexpensive. I only just learned I like white wines (crisp, refreshing, not oaky, and not sweet), and I really like vino verdes. They have a nice (cheap!) one at Central Market too that's $7/bottle.
    image 208 Invited
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 102 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are MIA (RSVPs due 9.10)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI works in the industry so I could go on and on and on but I won't ha-ha-ha

I absolutely love Mirassou Pinot Grigio if you're looking for a white wine.  It runs right around $10 a bottle and is delish.  Another white that's awesome is Whitehaven Sauv Blanc (it's closer to $20 I think) but it will change your life, seriously :)

I also like anything from Barefoot, for the price the taste can't be beat ha-ha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    JBryant - It will change my life?  Whoa... now my interest is definitely piqued.  :)

Thanks ladies for the recs... I will definitely be trying some new ones!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-poll-wine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:ab487740-15ec-4743-befc-d21b93bdde6dPost:ae2577b7-0878-426c-b76d-0c81bfc9ea5c">Re: NWR Poll: Wine</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, I will have to try that!! You remind me though, of a good cheaper wine I used to drink called <strong>Menage et Trois</strong>.  I used to get it at Walmart for $10.  Maybe I need to go back to Walmart and do some closer looking.  =)
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

Chris just knocked off a bottle of that.  We're not big wine buffs, but he's started bringing home 6 packs of different wines to try.  We just threw out a great German white wine... but I'll have to get the name from Chris since I won't be digging through the trash for the bottle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love good, cheap wine. I really enjoy Reislings as my favorite every day wine. FUNF is only 2 for 11 at Albertson's and it's good. I also like Relax and it's about 8 or 9 bucks. There is also a german reisling with a little german dude on it that's good and the same price. I definitely like german reislings over california....

Su Vino has a 10 or 11 dollar wine called Summer Rain that is like a reisling flavored with apple. So good!
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found one at Target called Seven Sisters that I like.  I'm also a HUGE fan of anything at Su Vino winery in Grapevine.  They are $10-12 a bottle and they have a huge variety.  We went to bottle our custom wine Sunday and I ended up buying 4 bottles while I was there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love Avalon Cab (the $16 bottle, not so much the $12). I was so excited when it went on sale at Central Market for $9.99... we went ahead and bought it for the wedding! The guy at Central Market said it'd keep as long as it didn't get too hot. Root 1 Cab is also pretty good in the $9 range.

I'm much pickier with whites, but I like Simi and The Crossing (both Sauv Blancs). I'll have to try Whitehaven!

Mmm... I want a glass now!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    annielouiseannielouise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a few favs that are on the cheaper end:

1.  Allegro Moscato
    2.  Beringer--I believe the White Zin, which is a blush
    3.  Point of View-Rhubarb  (this is a wine made at a local winery back home in ND)
    4.  New Age-White
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the "Sweet Home Ivanhoe" from Homestead winery in Grapevine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    prlmrg08prlmrg08 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is my favorite white wine...and I dont like white wines, but this one is good! (Peter Brum Bacchus)
    http://www.winestylesstore.com/item.aspx?itemID=6763&catid=0

As far as reds I love Pinot Noirs... but can never remember what the ones are that I love... and it sucks because Mesquite is dry, so I dont get to get wine often enough.... although, I think I need to make a run today... Yall are making me want WINE!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I like Relax - it's a reisling (and listed above)

I like Red headed step child - from La Buena Vida (and also listed above)

I'll drink others, but those are my favorites.  They are the dangerous ones because they are so good I forget to stop at a glass or two. 

• Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Second the Avalon Cab rec, that is a great value for a good Napa Valley red!
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second La Crema Pinot Noir, but it is pricer. 
    I also like Pensfold Kanoonga Hill and  Rawson's Retreat for other reds.

For white I like the Fetzer's Gewurtztraminer and Ballatore Gran Spumante for sparkling white wine.  That one is yummy for $8!
  • Options
    msealemseale member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Menage a Trois is my favorite everyday wine!  We even served it at the wedding as the red!  :)

I'm a fan of Shiraz's.  Duck-Duck-Goose is one of my favorites.  It's been a while since I bought it, but I think it is about $15.

The Yellow Tail cab-merlot & chardonnay are also ones that I drink often.
    Our last sunset in Hawaii...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
  • Options
    dee4182dee4182 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a big fan of reds, but I tried a sweet pinot noir at Mercy Wine bar and absolutely loved it. It's called Dasenstein Amour Pinot from the Germany/France region. I have no idea how much a bottle costs as I haven't had time to go look for it in the stores yet but it averages about $20 online.
  • Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Beringer Gewurztraminer (white wine) for an everyday wine. I think its under $15 a bottle :) You should REALLY give it a try haha

Im not to big on red wine...its a little to dry for me

• Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like sweet white wines, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be to you ;)

But, I really love rieslings (Chateau Ste. Michelle, Schmitt's Sohne, and the Su Vino Summer Rain are my favs). But I also really like Samba from Su Vino, it's a sweet red and my friend and I killed a bottle in less than an hour a couple weeks ago. :)
  • Options
    btweety04btweety04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow this thread really makes me wanna try out some wine. I've always wanted to but have no idea where to start or what is good. It is really overwhelming actually and I would hate to buy some to try out and hate it and be turned off of wine for good. I usually like sweet stuff so anything rec's or tips for a beginner would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a Malbec at the wedding that was good--Punto Final I think. Bought it at Costco awhile back. Beringer Chardonnay is really good too
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There's a vineyard and winery in Alvord (near Ft Worth) that makes GREAT casual wines. They have one that i think is called Sunset Red, they call it "barbicue wine" :) its a great table wine, not too sweet, not too dry... And its the only wine that my fiancee and i agree on. I think they ship in texas, you may have to contact them to get the details on that. website- www.brushycreekvineyards.com

Also in Grandbury, there's a place called D'vine Wine, that will help you create your own wine!!! They talk you through the whole thing, and let you make choices to make a wine that you'll love, based on what you already like. Its around $300 for 24 bottles, so it comes out to under $13 per bottle. You can even personalise the lable with a picture or wedding invite :)

Good Luck!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok...  I'll be the cheapy and mention box wine!  LOL  I really like the Target brand of wine that is in the little cubes.  I have only had the Merlot and it is really good. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-poll-wine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:ab487740-15ec-4743-befc-d21b93bdde6dPost:1d7ef360-6627-43b8-a2d8-de5055349277">Re: NWR Poll: Wine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow this thread really makes me wanna try out some wine. I've always wanted to but have no idea where to start or what is good. It is really overwhelming actually and I would hate to buy some to try out and hate it and be turned off of wine for good. I usually like sweet stuff so anything rec's or tips for a beginner would be much appreciated.Posted by btweety04[/QUOTE]

I was/am still the same way.  The only way I know I like the wines I posted above was through trial and error.  We did do a wine tasting last year and I have had better luck since then picking ones out that I like.  If you don't find a wine you like right off the bat, don't give up!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chateau St. Michelle is my favoite everyday Chard wine.  My favorite Chard is Sonoma Cutrer.

I love Su VINO!!!  The chianti is a great light summer wine chilled. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    one of my favorite whites is called Bubo. i get it at whole foods and it's $6.99, i think. maybe $8.99. it's more dry than sweet.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards