Registry and Gift Forum

Registry on wedding website?

I'm confused. 
Everything I've read and heard of in regards to wedding etiquette states the bride/groom should never be the one to tell people where they are registered.  But then when I set up my wedding website through The Knot it has a specific page for you to list your registries. 

Should I just delete this page or is it appropriate to tell people here?  My guts telling me to delete the page, but am I overthinking this?

Re: Registry on wedding website?

• Registry info is fine on wedding webpages, IMO.

Every guest gets an invitation, whether they want to or not.  Putting registry info in invites means they're forced to see it, basically.  People who visit your wedding website to get registry info are there because they are going to buy a gift anyway and just want to get more information.  I think it's different and I don't mind it.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • As long as you don't print "see our wedding website for registry info" on the invite, then you are ok.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think it is very appropriate to put it on your wedding website.  I went to a wedding of an old college friend and wasn't in contact with her/his family or bridal party. It was so nice to see the registries on the site without having to ask her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's fine.  Some people enjoy having more time to shop, rather than waiting for the little cards to come in the mail, like they do for your bridal shower.  Also, if you through vendors associated with weddingchannel.com you can have a donation made to the charity of your choice.  For ours, WeddingChannel.com will make a donation to American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals whenever someone uses their site to purchase a gift from one of our registries.  This is one reason I don't mind posting it on our website.
  • I agree with Brie and think it's fine to put registry info on a wedding website. That's what I'm doing with mine, just having the wedding website with the registry info and having no reference to the website on our invitations.

For me I need to do this because the only connection to my guests is me - they don't really know each other and they're not in contact with my parents who are helping me plan the wedding.

xjcx
  • I'm doing something similar to kikipania.  My mom and I are going to create "business cards" that look nice to slip into our invitations with our website on them.  Hopefully, the guest will get the idea that there is more information for everything wedding related on the website, inculding registry information.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-wedding-website?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:0308b738-239e-41c0-9edb-54ccb6527c48Post:ee9d4318-3ecc-4190-b902-846e1a5571b1">Re: Registry on wedding website?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some people enjoy having more time to shop, rather than waiting for the little cards to come in the mail, like they do for your bridal shower.  Posted by slteach826[/QUOTE]

Wait, now I'm confused.  Do you mean send out little cards saying "hi, we're registered at ____" ?  Also, where do you alert people to the fact that you have a wedding website?  On the STD or just word of mouth?
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-wedding-website?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:0308b738-239e-41c0-9edb-54ccb6527c48Post:a025bc91-20b5-49b6-a578-aa459343abf1">Re: Registry on wedding website?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registry on wedding website? : Wait, now I'm confused.  Do you mean send out little cards saying "hi, we're registered at ____" ?  Also, where do you alert people to the fact that you have a wedding website?  On the STD or just word of mouth?
    Posted by JMU_Bride09[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but whenever we registered, each store sent us little cards saying "This couple is registered at our store."  Or something close to that.  I threw them away because I figure the people throwing my showers can let people know where I'm registered if they're curious.  We put our website address on the save the date, and it will also be a blip on an insert in the invitation, and the website has our registry information for anyone who cares enough to go look at the website, along with accommodations and maps/directions/etc. for the ceremony and reception.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • And what if you don't have a wedding website?
  • I agree, what if you're not putting together a web site?  Also, what about people who just simply don't use the internet, or are not web savvy, such as much older guests?  How did Brides let people know of their registries before the internet?

• I think it's fine to put the registry on the website and then a link to the website on the invitation as the website will have a lot more info than simply the registry.  What I really hate to see is a "We are registered at________" announcement in the invitation.  I think that is very tacky and too many couples are doing that today. What that says to me is" we want you to  come to our wedding IF you bring or send one of these items."
  • I'm using the internet because everyone in my family is computer savvy, especially the older people! It's weird I know! The only two people I'm concerned about will be informed by me. I still think inserting a small something into an invitation is the way to go, not printing it directly on the invitation.  
  • It's a great idea! People like knowing what you want and need. It makes life easier for your guests.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-wedding-website?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:0308b738-239e-41c0-9edb-54ccb6527c48Post:5cc83869-96ea-4ded-9f2a-865de6785ab8">Re: Registry on wedding website?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most brides know who their guests are. If they think that people would want the registry on the invitation, they should include it. Not everyone has a wedding website. My daughter doesn't. Everyone expects to give a gift when they go to a wedding. What difference does it make if the registry is listed? If people think that it's presumptuous, they should leave it out. I've searched on common store websites and found them myself. People are calling me if they want to send engagement presents. I'll list the registry for the shower.
    Posted by LMurt11@aol.com[/QUOTE]

NO! The registry should NOT be included on the invite. If you do not have a wedding website, you can still use theweddingchannel.com to list your registries.

People do often list the registries on their shower invites, and theoretically, this will get the word out to almost all of your female guests about where the couple is registered anyway.
  • We put our registry on our website that we have through theknot.com.  We also put the website on our save the dates.  We will include the line "Please view our wedding website for hotel accommadations, directions and additional information" on a business card sized insert with our invitations.
  • yes, absolutely put it on your wedding website! yet another reason to have a website. people who are looking at your website are probably people who want to know where you're registered. in particular, FH and i registered using wishpot.com, which allows you to register for anything sold on the internet anywhere, and most people won't know to look there like they would search on Macy's. this wishpot thing is totally awesome--we don't have to be constrained by what the big stores carry. we also have a good sized registry with BB&B for those who would rather shop in-store or with a store they know. my mom is also including our registry info with the shower invite.

• When did it become such a big deal to include your registry information in the invitation. I remember weddings as far back as the 80's that had the little card inserts so you knew exactly where the couple were registered. Last I checked, it's traditional and polite to give the new bride and groom a gift to celebrate their union and help them start their new homes together. And to avoid giving them something they don't need, the guests need to know what they DO need, hence a registry.. If you have a website, great, list it there. If you don't, then include an insert in your invite (especially for the non-computer savvy guests).  I don't think including this info somewhere in your invite is specifically saying your guests have to buy you presents, it's avoiding getting that THIRD crystal Limoges bowl from guests who WANT to give you a present.  In my experience, if a guest doesn't want to give you a gift, they won't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards