Registry and Gift Forum

Is it okay to request NO gifts?

My fiance and I are flying out to my hometown in WI from WA for our wedding next year. We do not want any gifts as we have no way of taking them back with us. We'll take money though. That sounds so wrong to say, but it's the truth. How do you (or do you?) word that in an invitation so it doesn't sound snotty?

Re: Is it okay to request NO gifts?

• You never mention anything about gifts in the invitation.  Just don't create a registry.  When people ask, say "since we live in WA and the wedding is in WI, we can't really carry gifts and decided not to do a registry."  People who are comfortable giving money will take the hint and give you money.  People who don't give money will either not give you anything or will pick something out on their own.  Keep in mind that most guests have gifts delivered to your home before the wedding rather than bringing gifts to the wedding, so it really won't matter.Also keep in mind that if you only ask for money, it would be in poor taste to have a shower.
  • No don't plan on having a shower. I want it simple as can be without all the fluff! Actually we were thinking about just doing a honeymoon registry where people contribute money to that. Is that tacky?
  • Scroll down, there was just a post about HM registries. 
  • You can pass it by word of mouth...ex if they ask your mom or bridal party where you are registered they can tell them you are not because of traveling and IF they would like to get you a gift you would prefer money or a gift card, but it is not expected.
  • You shouldn't put gift information on the invites. I always cringe when I get a list of where the couple is registered. But I think it is perfectly acceptable to pass the information by word of mouth. Another idea I would have would  be to go ahead and register (if there are things you need), but to also say by word of mouth that you'd like things sent/ordered to go to your home. I dont know how successful this might be, but I knew we got probably 1/4 of our gifts just mailed to our place and our wedding was fairly local. Some people might not like this idea though since it adds shipping, but if I knew I had to pay for shipping, I would take it out of the cost of the gift.
  • I think a honeymoon registry sounds like a great idea if you could use a little extra cash for that.  My FI & I are planning one since we've lived together for so long we don't really need any of the stuff you get.
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am in a similar situation as my fiance and I may be moving because he is thinking of joining the military. He would be coming back from basic, we get married, and a few weeks later we would move. We don't want to move a lot for fear of breaking it or just the increased volume it would create.Perhaps register somewhere but also include the mailing address the gift can be sent to. I don't think it is at all wrong to put that you request no gifts be brought to the wedding. Simply state "Because the bride and groom will be traveling, they request gifts be sent to their home address of _____" They should get the hint. Don't mention you want money. Everyone wants cash. Or don't register and just put that gift cards to __ __ __ would be appreciated. If they are coming to your wedding they know you don't live there.To daiseysinmay, do you factor the price of a birthday card into the money you give someone? It really isn't fair to punish a couple by subtracting what you would normally pay for a wedding gift just because they ask for it to be shipped.
  • that depends,if you already established then the answer is no
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards