Registry and Gift Forum

Bridal Shower Gift?

A friend of mine is having two bridal showers, both very soon. One shower is being put on by a friend of the Groom's Mother and the other is being put on by the Bride's sisters. From what I have heard from friends of the Bride is that the one shower thrown by the Groom's Mother's Friend is for mothers, aunts, older adult friends of both sides of the family. The Second shower, thrown by the Bride's sisters seems to be friends of the Bride. I am attending the shower for girlfriends of the Bride but am not quite sure what to get her. The invitation is very simple and does not hint at any type of theme for the shower. What should I get for the Bride? I always thought that lingerie or wedding night gifts were what is traditionally given but I don't know the Bride's sizes. Should I try and find out? Thanks so much

Re: Bridal Shower Gift?

• In my experience, unless it's specified as a lingerie shower or the like, it's a regular shower where people tend to gift household items. Unless it's the BMs or a really, really good friend, shower guests tend to shy away from gifting lingerie and wedding night attire because it's a really personal decision. I would contact the hostess and find out if the bride is registered anywhere. The hostess may just have been following very good etiquette by not making mention of a gift registry.
  • 1. Unless specifically mentioned in invite wedding night gifts are not given in my circle 2. Ask teh hostess if the bride is registered if so get something off her registry if not get something practical with a gift recipt.  One nice thing is to if you are know for some recipe buy the bakeware off her registry for it and then include the recipe. Like I often do carmel apple pie recipe with pie pans and pie servers and an apple slicer
  • Just contact the hostess and ask her if the bride has a registry - if so, there is your answer. ;-)   I would steer clear of lingerie or clothing gifts - that stuff is too personal, in my opinion. (At least in my circle, they are not traditonally given as gifts).
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • I would do some research for a registry first.  And unless you are sure she would be comfortable opening some fancy lingerie in front of the family I would steer clear of that.My sister decided to give me lingerie at the shower thrown by my FI's family.  Although I am close with them it was rather uncomfortable to pull out a nice purple lacy thing while sitting next to my future grandmother :-O
  • I always shop the registry for a Bridal Shower - Household items are the norm in my area
  • Weddingpages.com allows you to search for someone's wedding web site and any registries they have by their name/s.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards