Registry and Gift Forum
Options

The point of fine china / registry guilt?

Hi ladies -So I've been busy setting up our registries and am wondering about the fine china part of all this...I'm trying to be pretty conservative with our registries as we are both in our 30's and just bought a home so by the time we get married (next May) we won't need a whole lot of "just starting out" items. I'm focusing on things like new towels, bedding, a nice knife set we never owned, and upgrades for our cookware & kitchen supplies. Practical things, I guess. So now I get to the fine china...it looks absolutely gorgeous in the store but does anyone actually USE such an expensive set any more than maybe once a year for holidays or whatever? Is it "worth" it to register for this? FI and I like to have people over (our friends and his coworkers) from time to time so we do host from time to time...I guess I just feel a little registry guilt since it's the most expensive thing on there if we do add in a set. Thoughts?
The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013

Re: The point of fine china / registry guilt?

• Options
    ditto pp, something else you can consider is trying to find a store that doesnt discontinue patterns so youre not as scared to use it, that way if something happens to a plate etc you can replace it.
  • Options
    We went with every day china instead of fine china. I'm sure we won't use it every day, but we wil use it more than just Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Similarly, we didn't go for any crystal or silver.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hmmm - we're not going for crystal or silver, either...I think the "everyday" china would make more sense for us...so like perhaps a "plain" white bone china and then a more fun, colorful set for casual entertaining / every day?
  • Options
    I inherited it not registry item but I use my good china about 6 times a year. I host easter at my house, and then friends showers, celabration dinners, and when I have a small group for a dinner party . Will you be the one hosting family holidays?
  • Options
    I doubt we will be hosting family holidays (FI's family is on the west coast and we are on the east coast so we either travel to them or spend holidays at my aunt & uncle's.) Although as the aunts & uncles get older...they might appreciate coming to our house for holiday meals for a change!  Hmmmm....now you have me thinking.
  • Options
    I am really excited about the Fine China that I registered for. I look forward to using it for more than just holidays, but nicer dinner parties, any celebrations, etc. It helps to just make an event feel more special. I know it is not for everyone, but if you are into entertaining and your registry is more of an upgrade registry (vs. bare necessities) I say go for it. The whole set may not get completed for your wedding, but it is something you can build on over the years.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy." -Ambrose Bierce
  • Options
    I'm not registering for China as my Grandmother is passing hers (that was her mothers) down to me when I buy a house. It's goregous and I love it and I can't wait to have it and use it. That said, if I weren't getting it from her, I would register for it. If you have an older crowd attending your wedding, that's the kind of thing they like to see and buy because, well, back in the day that was what they registered for! Definitely go with something that allows you flexibility and have fun with it! They have some awesome designs and you can find REASONABLE prices. Besides, who wouldn't want to have a lovely set of china just incase you get that cabinet ;)
  • Options
    i figured, it's something I would never buy myself one day.  Registar for whatever you like, and see how many pieces you get.  If you get it all, GREAT! IF not, take it back. 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We registered for fine china and use it all the time.  We mixed and matched patterns, though, so we didn't register for "sets".  This made our china super affordable for guests (some guests just bought us one bread and butter plate, which was great!) and we actually ended up receiving a majority of our china this way, since they could just buy one piece if they wished. We only registered for china bowls, dinner plates, salad plates and bread and butter plates.  We didn't register for any china serving pieces.  Instead, we registered for nice glass or stainless steel serving pieces that matched both our regular dishes AND our china.  I like mixing and matching all of our pieces, too.  It's really fun and encourages us to actually use our china.
  • Options
    It just depends on they type of entertaining you do and if this is a priority for you.  I always wanted fine china, never had it.  In all honesty, my family just doesn't entertain using fine china, so as I'm looking back - it would have come out at Christmas and then back into hiding. I have my g'ma's.  Butt ugly.  Neither of my sisters want it either.  Did I mention it was butt ugly?  I wouldn't stick my DD's with it either - keep thinking Goodwill...........
  • Options
    You can use the fine china as much or as little as you want! There's no rule that says it must be a holiday to use it. My parents use their fine china for Sunday dinner. It also serves as decoration in their dining room when it's not being used. If you do end up registering for it, remember that the patterns won't go out of style for years. I made sure that we registered for a pattern that came out recently (Kate Spade Gardner Street Platinum), so I know it will be around for a while. My mom will complete our set by giving them as Christmas, birthday, and anniversary gifts after the wedding. My parents set went out of style 15 years after ther wedding!If it's just not for you, though, they have really nice "casual" china. I really love Denby. It will still be a nicer set since it costs almost as much, but it's not as fancy.GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips / advice - I'm going to keep looking around. :-)
  • Options
    We spent a lot of time picking out our china pattern (Lenox Lace Couture) and were excited to build the collection, but NO ONE bought it. Pretty much our entire registry was gone (we had over 250 guests), but people just weren't enticed by it.I say if you are thinking about it, put it on your registry and see how it goes! It can be a classic heirloom.
  • Options
    My sister registered for over 6,000 dollars worth of fine china on her registry, as well as regular everyday ware stuff. As a result she got about 3 pieces total, from a wedding that had about 250 guests...no one bought it. Now it was verrry expensive china, and it isn't the best economy...so we all saw this coming. people don't have the money right now to buy 225 dollar salt and pepper shakers, I think she would have been better off registering for nicer everyday ware, and skipping the china, but if you know your guests well enough, it might work for you.
  • Options
    We did not register for fine china because I had already collected my china set while we were dating.When we did look at china at Macys the lady behind the counter actually said that the older china is higher quality than the new stuff made today.  If you hold up a piece of fine porcelain china made 30 years ago upto a light it is translucent(you can see your hand). A lot of the newer fine china pieces don't do that anymore.A double duty set is a good choice if you don't entertain formally.You could also consider a older pattern and start collecting pieces off sites such as ebay.  Since you would put it together yourself gradually it would be a long term project and you would not feel guilt over it since you were spending the money.That is what I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards