Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What if I'm already married?

My husband and I got married at our local courthouse without any family or friends but are planning a formal ceremony at our one year anniversary. Is it ok to establish a gift registry even though we've already been married?

Re: What if I'm already married?

• Options
    I'd say it's fine to do so but don't broadcast it.  I'd also decline any showers.
  • Options
    If people are asking where your registered (and they already know you are married) it is fine to set one up.  But, as the others said, no showers.
  • Options
    I'd actually say no. In this case, it's more like you're having a party to celebrate with your friends, rather than an actual wedding, and I think registering would look a bit off.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm not real comfortable with it either.  Can I ask why you got married and are going thru a formal ceremony at the one year mark?  Will your guests know you are already married.
  • Options
    We got married because we are both military stationed at two seperate locations. We had to get married in order to get stationed together. I am currently overseas and do not return to the states until next year. That is why we have to wait in order to have an actual wedding. Unfortunatley this means that we will have already been married an entire year. And yes my guest do know that I am all ready married. Plus I was never planning on having a party for this. I just know that some family members and friends will probably want to give us gifts and I don't I want to seem like I'm all about the gifts. But then again I don't want to have to return a bunch of stuff that I don't want or need because I was not specific.
  • Options
    Anniversary parties are not gift giving events so no people are unlikely to be getting you gifts that you need to register. the message of a registry in that case is"hey people you did not give us enough wedding gifts so bring something better this time"
  • Options
    I say go for it - what can it hurt?  It sounds like you have a perfectly good reason for having the "official" celebration at the one year mark and if you didn't register before then I think you should now.  People register for all sorts of things from weddings to housewarmings, etc.  and lots of stores have "wish list" options now for any occasion.  I actually know someone who registered years before getting married so that people could use it for her birthdays, etc.  She put "Mr. Right" as the man on the registry!
  • Options
    I also got married at a little chapel with my parents present. We are having our big wedding on our one year anniversary too. My family and friends know I am married, but his family does not know. My mother in law doesn't want them to know.We registered for gifts. Just because we are already married doesn't mean we shouldn't receive gifts congratulating us. What is the difference between living together and already being married? When you live together for longer than 12 months you are legally deemed "common law," which means you are pretty much married. Either way I don't mind if people don't want to get us gifts, but I know my family wants to get me something. I'm not going to decline gifts. I hope this helps. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is already married and still having a big wedding day.
  • Options
    The difference between common law marriage and what you propose is that guests are invited to the ceremony of the actual wedding.Whatever you two choose to do, PLEASE be honest with your guests. 
  • Options
    Additionally, I want to add, that I am totally okay with buying gifts for people that are already married and having vow renewals or celebrations or whatever. What I would not be cool with is buying them a gift only to find out later that they lied. To me, that would seem like they only did it to get gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards