Registry and Gift Forum
Options

moving to Germany right after marriage... we can take almost nothing with us... how do we register?

My fiance is German and we are moving to Germany right after our wedding.  Shipping costs are so high that we do not really want gifts, but do not want to ask for cash because that is tacky.Any suggestions?Thanks :)

Re: moving to Germany right after marriage... we can take almost nothing with us... how do we register?

• Options
    Do a really small registry with a few lightweight items, and spread the word. When people ask, your mom/MOH/whoever can say "They made a small registry at X, but they are moving to Germany right after the wedding and can't transport much. I know they're saving up to try to make it home for the holidays next year." People who absolutely won't give $ can give you sheets or luggage, and the majority will get the idea and give you money. It's tacky to ask for cash, but it's perfectly fine to be honest in response to questions about registries.
  • Options
    AHH! I'm so jealous!  I lived over in Germany for my high school years and loved it!  I don't really have any ideas for your registry, but I liked the previous posts idea!  Have fun!  I hope you love it as much as I do!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Leah&Christian is exactly right. I would definitely set up a small registry, and have others spread the word for you.
  • Options
    Thank you all,That is a nice way to go about it!
  • Options
    I live in London and don't forget to register for stuff like measuring cups and spoons cookie sheets, and some other baking pans. Everything is different in Europe and it's really frustrating when you try to use your recipes from home.
  • Options
    I agree with Leah, as usual.What part of Germany?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Probably Berlin, that is where his parents live but it depends on his job of course :)And yeah, when I was there last month I had a difficult time with the having to weigh out measurements with a scale instead of cups!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards