Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Recommendations?

I really, really want a KitchenAid mixer. Which one do you guys recommend? I just want a basic one I guess, but one that I can buy a lot of attachments (or comes with a lot of attachments) for. :)

So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
planning bio // wedding

Re: Recommendations?

• Options
    We registered for this Cuisinart (link) based on reviews on the Cooks Illustrated website.  Here's (link) the attachments that BBB has for it.  I think we read reviews of the food processor attachment that it was insanely noisy, so we registered (and got as an e-gift) a separate food processor. 
  • Options

We have the larger Cuisinart mixer (7qt / 1000 watt) and LOVE IT.  The capacity is amazing - jaw dropping actually - I love to bake.  It is a bit noisy but works beautifully - puts the KitchenAids to shame.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    The attachments should be compatible with any KitchenAid mixer. I'd go for the KitchenAid Artisan 5-qt. Stand Mixer - they run about $300. And they have about 20 different colors to choose from.
  • Options
    I'm registered for the 6-qt professional KitchenAid mixer.  I also am a HUGE baker / cook, and I want the lift-bowl design versus the tilt-head, and it has a more powerful motor for all of those recipes of cookies, breads, and cakes that I'll need to make over the next umpteen decades.  My mom has a bowl-lift design and it's just AMAZING to work with.  My SIL has the tilt-head design but she's not THAT into baking and it gets the job done.  The biggest question to ask yourself is how much of what types of recipes do you see yourself making?  If you see a lot of thick dough recipes, cookies, pie dough, etc, you may want the more powerful motor.  Many people are happy with the 5-qt one - I think it has like 425 watts.  The 6-qt professional has like 650 or 700 watts.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    I really love baking, so I plan on doing that a lot. What kinds of things in general cooking can you use it for? I don't think I've ever used a mixer in my cooking before, and I don't make bread, soo...I guess just baking! :) 
    So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    planning bio // wedding
  • Options
    I agree with PP on depending on what you want- I have a tilt-head Kitchenaid that I got from a sweet old lady I adored who had to move into the nursing home and my FI uses it more than I do! For me, I don't use it a ton (yet!) but I do love it and it is the classic design, and I love seeing it on our kitchen counter & think how I'll eventually get a lot more use from it making cookies with my kids. I love how pretty it is. :) So get one that looks great to you, if you aren't a hardcore baker. Good advice I heard is to make sure to add extra bowls to your registry, so you're not stuck using it just once and having to transfer and do dishes before making something else.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I saw they have an ice cream maker attachment now for the Kitchenaid.   Does anyone have it already?  It looks pretty cool, but I wonder if it actually works.  Any other attachments worth getting?   (I just have the basic ones it comes with and use the bread hook ALL the time)
  • Options
    A friend of mine has the ice cream bowl and absolute LOVES it.  My mom has a separate ice-cream maker, so she doesn't want the KAid ice cream bowl.  I don't want a thousand appliances, so I'm registered for the ice cream bowl too.  I can't WAIT to get to use it ... either we buy it, or someone is generous, we'll see!! :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    I have the Cuisinart stand mixer,  My parents were going to get me a Kitchen Aid for Christmas, but they found that they Cuisinart had more power than the KA. It has attachments like the pasta maker and juicer.  It might not come in all the different colors that KAs do, but I'm pleased with mine.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:11226edd-0f9d-4589-aefb-fe4857821e5cPost:172c39b5-03bc-4265-bd0e-c80576310c4f">Re: Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The attachments should be compatible with any KitchenAid mixer. I'd go for the KitchenAid Artisan 5-qt. Stand Mixer - they run about $300. And they have about 20 different colors to choose from.
    Posted by wareagle5678[/QUOTE]

<div>This!  I love, love, love mine!</div>
  • Options
    I have my mom's old KA artisan that's 30 years old, and it's still running.  I can't really justify getting a new one because this one works so well still.  I think the best thing it makes is amazing mashed potatos... they are no work.  It's also great for meringues and homemade whipped cream (in addition to all the bread, cookies, etc.).  My mom upgraded to a professional, and she likes the artisan more because it's a bit smaller and fits on the counter better.  We've made everything with it, and it's never had any trouble even with the slower motor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards